Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jun 23, 2013June 23rd, 2013, 4:38 pm EDT
Well since it's about over I'll post these. ;)
The emergence was spotty but I am lucky enough to have my office a couple minutes from a place where the cicadas and wild trout interface.

Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jun 23, 2013June 23rd, 2013, 6:59 pm EDT
The trout eats those ugly things?! Ugh...
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jun 24, 2013June 24th, 2013, 1:31 am EDT
The trout eats those ugly things?! Ugh...

Like candy
Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Jun 24, 2013June 24th, 2013, 5:07 am EDT
Nice fly. Looks very similar to the real deal.

Like candy
How could they pass up a bug that big?

Probably catching mostly little ones on those though ;)
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jun 24, 2013June 24th, 2013, 8:12 am EDT
Your fly pattern is epic Eric.

Not my pattern. I just tie it. The creator is Blane Chocklett, of gummy minnow fame. I did change materials a bit though. He calls for loco skin for the abdomen and while this works, I use sticky back foam which floats a bit higher like the natural. But it's a pretty effective fly.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 24, 2013June 24th, 2013, 8:41 am EDT
Looks like it could fly and chirp. Great tie, Eric.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jun 24, 2013June 24th, 2013, 1:37 pm EDT
Well you made a good one. How is it for casting???
what are the wings made of???
What size hook is it ???

Mack.

Well i fish it on a pretty short 2X leader and mange to get it out there. The rod I use is dictated by the stream I'm on. If it's big water I'll us a fast action 5wt if its a small stream I will use a slower rod.

The wings are made out of Blane Chocklett's wing material i don't even know what it's called.

I tie mine on a size 6 popper hook
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jun 25, 2013June 25th, 2013, 1:53 am EDT
Yes, very nice tie, near perfect as a matter of fact!!
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Jun 25, 2013June 25th, 2013, 2:39 pm EDT
The trout eats those ugly things?

Like candy

Yup

All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 25, 2013June 25th, 2013, 6:57 pm EDT
YEE-HAW, boys! Tear that "hatch" ("fall?") up! It'll be what, another 13 or 17 years before you see that again?

Fabulous flies, Eric! I would think a short (8 foot), stiff 5-weight would be best for throwing those flies...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Crepuscular
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jun 26, 2013June 26th, 2013, 6:30 am EDT

Fabulous flies, Eric! I would think a short (8 foot), stiff 5-weight would be best for throwing those flies...

Jonathon

Thanks, It depends on where you are fishing as to what rod works best. A stiff rod takes line to load. If it is a small stream a somewhat softer rods loads better with less line out the end. You can always go up a line size as well.
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jun 26, 2013June 26th, 2013, 8:03 am EDT
of gummy minnow fame

Someone has to get up pretty early to slip something past you kid-o! You are a sponge...Just file it back in the brain library somewhere and someday it may come in handy. :) Gummy minnow fame?! Ha! I'm busting a gut!

Between you and that Bob buddy of yours over in Middletown those trout in PA must be nervous wrecks! They have to visit the trout shrink every other week. ;)

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jun 26, 2013June 26th, 2013, 8:19 am EDT
Yup

Tony...Eric sent me a PM back when all this got started...I told him to be careful not to let Tony know or he'll be pointing the fishing wagon north...His email back to me was simply, "Too late!" :)

Just place the fuzz buster on the dash and leave Pittsburgh under the cover of darkness. ;) Too bad I wasn't chasing your tailights through the mountains like I did in April...

The Hex madness must be in full swing up north here...It is way too quiet. No one is even whispering a damn thing...Blood-shot eyes, crazed looks in the eyes, coffee pots always going, and the aroma of Deet in the air...Its a totally different level of consiousness...The world outside, especially the daylight one, no longer exists. Creatures of the night.

Spence

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 26, 2013June 26th, 2013, 2:32 pm EDT
Spence, a buddy of mine called me last night around 11:30 p.m. and told me that the McDonalds in Tawas was covered in Hexagenia...time for me to hit Cooke Pond with the kayak and a box of big flies...neither the Pine nor the Rifle has a Hex hatch, but the Light Cahills come off around the same time and especially on the Rifle it can be almost as good as the Hex.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply