Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Jun 12, 2012June 12th, 2012, 6:17 pm EDT
any concerns about eye protection using UV headlamps? I plan to use uv light extensively later this summer to do night collecting.
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jun 13, 2012June 13th, 2012, 4:01 pm EDT
Konchu,
I don't know if the comercialy available headlamps would be powerful enough to do damage just don't shine the beam directly into any ones eyes to be safe. We used high intensity stage lights and they were hung 40-50' up in the air and always pointed so the light was coming from behind our customers.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Shanti
Sweden

Shanti on Jun 14, 2012June 14th, 2012, 9:57 pm EDT
Any UV-light that we can see is pretty harmless.
If we can see it, it means that our eye adjusts itself, in other words protects itself.
The UV-rays from, for example, the sun we can't see and the eye can't protect itself.

Yet, staring into a lightsource for any long periods of time, isn't a good idea. In wintertime, we do a lot of fishing with orange egg patterns around here. My most effective pattern is an orange tungsten bead, covered by orange UV-glue. My friends decided, the lazy bastards, the mine were the best looking ones, so I ended up spending a couple of days with glue and a UV-torch.
Not that healthy at all.
The coming winter they will have to do their own. And since their versions are far more ugly, I will catch more rainbows. Not that I'm counting fish that often, but this time I see it as some kind of revenge.
Somewhere, right now, a fish is rising.
And you´re at the computer..

Quick Reply