Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 22, 2013April 22nd, 2013, 11:16 am EDT
I just got off the phone with a good friend of ours here at Troutnut, Mark Libertone. I was concerned because I had noticed that his link to his flies he had listed here no longer worked.

To remind everyone: Back in July 2011 Mark was diagnosed with colorectal cancer and has been fighting it ever since. He has gone through the standard chemotherapy regimen that is proscribed. He has made many trips to the VA hosipital in Buffalo for treatments etc.

Back in Jan-Feb he told me he was going to NYC to look in to an experimental pump that he had researched. He visited NYC's Sloan-Kettering and was about to have the pump installed and some of the cancerous portions of his liver removed when he started to feel some pain in his hips which felt like a pinched nerve.

After further tests it was discovered that the cancer had metastazied in to the bone in his hips and the surgery was called off. He was told to head home and continue with the chemotherapy program he has been on since July 2011.

Mark told me today that he has had discussions with his family and has decided to halt his treatments. He and his family have contacted hospice and arrangements have been made to help him with pain etc. His last chemo treatment was in January of this year.

I asked him if it was ok for me to post this update and he was fine with it. He sounds good, strong actually, and I told him that I would inform all of you so that our thoughts and prayers could be directed to Mark and his family. He has a very close-knit, loving family, and they are watching over him. His son Mark Jr has my number. If it will only warm up a bit, his son plans on taking him down to his beloved Genesee River to soak up some sun and maybe see a fish or two rise.

I told him to feel free to call me. We discussed my trip to PA and my heading out west in August, and told him he would of been proud of those Pennsylvania Boys from Troutnut. He was happy to hear we fished hard and had some fair hatches, but seemed most pleased with our comeraderie. Mark has a good friend that runs a shop on the Madison and I told him I would stop in for a visit in August.

Spence

Mark gave me another web page where some of his flies are posted, Fly Tyer Forum and his flies are still on Hans Weilenmann's web site as well.

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Apr 22, 2013April 22nd, 2013, 11:22 am EDT
Thank you, Spence. Your report saddens me, but I am happy to know Mark has such strong support from good friends and family. He will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Apr 22, 2013April 22nd, 2013, 11:47 am EDT
Thanks, Spence for updating everyone. Here is a link to the fly tying forum. Some of my flies are in the fly pattern database.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Apr 22, 2013April 22nd, 2013, 12:26 pm EDT
Thank you, Spence. Your report saddens me, but I am happy to know Mark has such strong support from good friends and family. He will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers.

Yes.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Apr 22, 2013April 22nd, 2013, 2:27 pm EDT
I am sad to hear that and wish you well.
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Apr 22, 2013April 22nd, 2013, 3:01 pm EDT
Hey Mark. My prayers and thoughts are with you.
Bruce
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 22, 2013April 22nd, 2013, 3:57 pm EDT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyu6x792rT4

Just thought I'd re-post this one from our famous "brother-of-the-angle" Mark Libertone...;) This was when he went international.

A little beauty for the upcoming sulpher time.
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Apr 22, 2013April 22nd, 2013, 4:02 pm EDT
Regards Mark.
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn

Quick Reply