Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Oldredbarn has attached these 5 pictures. The message is below.
This is the B&B Fly shop where we camped out, The Feathered Hook...Nice collection of cane rods and a guy that has a shop out back where he makes rods. Eric wanted to buy a used rod that was going for $1,100 and I almost bought another Hardy.
This man isn't having any fun! Can you tell?
Here I am trying out my new wading staff...I never felt stable the whole afternoon...but who cares...We had fish sucking in Henny's.
We caught so many fish in this range we lost count.
If you want to put a smile on Eric's face, go out and catch some trout Spence, damn it! I'll let him tell you about the magic rock...I promise you he won't tell you where it is.
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Apr 16, 2013April 16th, 2013, 4:01 am EDT
That photo could be in an ad campaign, Eric. Very nice.

Thanks Kurt. Yeah maybe if Sage didn't discontinue models every year :)
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Apr 16, 2013April 16th, 2013, 5:51 am EDT
Where you guys around and south of Gailton area ???

A couple hours south of there.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 16, 2013April 16th, 2013, 6:45 am EDT
Funny? My GPS seems to be broken or I'd give you the coordinates. Sorry. ;)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Apr 16, 2013April 16th, 2013, 2:56 pm EDT
Spence,
I am very fond of the Feathered Hook. If you walk away from the breakfast table hungry it is your own fault, and the proprietor is, well let's just say they broke the mold and then for good measure spread the pieces hither and you just to be sure there would never be another one like Jonas.

The coffee with cream description is the major difficulty with Penns. It doesn't even take a significant storm to blow her out and then several days to recover. Although if you catch the lead edge of the rising/dirty water with meat flies..........................
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 22, 2013April 22nd, 2013, 5:08 pm EDT
there would never be another one like Jonas

He just might be in the witness protection program...;) What a hoot!
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply