Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionNew Brunswick, Canada
Specific LocationLudlow

Details and Discussion

CaseyBentle
Ludlow, NB, Canada

CaseyBentle on May 15, 2007May 15th, 2007, 7:16 am EDT
The weather has finally changed for the better here in New Brunswick! It's been sunny on the Miramichi with highs in the twenties all this week. The river is at a good level with clear, beautiful water. It is still high enough that all the fishing has to be done out of boats. Boats with guides & their guests are going up and down the river, so we know there are lots of fish around. The salmon are taking on the top with smaller flies and there are quite a few larger trout being taken as well.

Taken from Fish And Hunt Canada.

Quick Reply