Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 3 pictures. The message is below.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 24, 2012May 24th, 2012, 8:49 pm EDT
The first time I hit this spot on the Rifle River was the 4th day of the season. The air was filled with mayflies (Hendricksons and Red Quills) and caddisflies (tan wing brown body, #14-16), and this hatching went on for SEVEN HOURS STRAIGHT. I caught 13 browns but felt like I should have caught 50, I missed at least that many strikes and had many steadily feeding fish repeatedly refuse my flies, only to keep feeding below me once I'd passed them up and waded on. They ranged in size from maybe 7 inches to a 13-incher, the majority of them over the legal limit of 8" (of course I let them all go). I re-fished the entire stretch again (I can get out and walk 5-10 minutes to my car, depending on how long I enjoy the trail, with wild orchids, huge pine trees, and at night, flying squirrels) and the lowest 1/4 mile or so three times, and still had hits and caught fish every time! It was certainly a day to remember for me, especially since I couldn't get myself to leave the stream until dark. "Dammit, they're STILL rising!" I then realized I knew what crack cocaine felt like!

Well, today went beyond, yet was totally different. There were next to no flies on the water and next to no fish feeding on top, save for some little ones. Yet, a #12 brown Elkhair caddis brought up 21 fish, mostly browns with maybe six little rainbows (baby steelhead - I could see redds here and there), again the majority of the fish legal (and still swimming right now) with the biggest being 14". I lost a few fish and probably missed as many strikes as I caught, but hooking percentage was way higher today than last time.

I think this is a personal record for me. And the most amazing thing is that there was little, random, mixed fly activity, saw a few different sized mayflies (big brown ones, little white ones, etc.) & very random caddis, almost a smorgasbourd of flies but few and far between. I think we are sort of between hatches now, those of spring tapering off and those of summer about to start, but with the random mixture out there fish were willing to hit anything that looked good. And I guess a little brown caddisfly about the size of a #12 hook looked really good!

No fish shots, these weren't the nice big fat ones that get shown off on here but all nice, healthy looking, well-colored and spunky, rod-bending fish. If you want to see a Rifle River brown, I posted one back in April. But I couldn't resist a few pink lady's slipper orchids, and a big mamma snapping turtle looking for a spot to lay her eggs, that I saw on the trail back to the car.

Going back to another favorite spot on this river tomorrow...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on May 24, 2012May 24th, 2012, 9:39 pm EDT
Good looking my man it sounds like you had a blast of a day. Well done!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on May 25, 2012May 25th, 2012, 3:20 am EDT
Jonathon;

Congrats on a great day on the water for you!!

Did you stick w/ the elk hair caddis exclusively the whole time or did you try anything subsurface as well?

Thanks,

Adirman
Feathers5
Feathers5 on May 25, 2012May 25th, 2012, 5:54 am EDT
Good for your day. What kind of flower is that?
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 25, 2012May 25th, 2012, 6:41 am EDT
Congratulations on some fine fishing, Jonathon.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 25, 2012May 25th, 2012, 9:08 am EDT
Thanks guys. I had a really hard time getting to sleep last night...

Adirman, I went with the Elkhair caddis almost the entire time, switching to one of my POG Buggers (Peacock, Olive, and Grizzly) for a short downstream walk back to a jump-out point, but I got no hits on it. It was a rather silty area and I was probably kicking up too much mud.

Feathers5, these are pink lady's slipper orchids, Cypripedium acaule. Spectacular, aren't they? There were probably several hundred blooming along the trail back to my car.

Heading back out there to a different spot in a little while...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply