Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Sandfly has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
Sandfly
tioga co. pa.

Sandfly on Mar 31, 2012March 31st, 2012, 8:46 am EDT
on going argument about this fly, i say black quill(Leptophlebia cupida) , otheres say blue quill (Paraleptophlebia Adoptiva) what say you ?
sandfly
shop owner
N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. 688
I didn't Escape------They gave me a day pass !
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Mar 31, 2012March 31st, 2012, 9:01 am EDT
It's Paraleptophlebia.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Mar 31, 2012March 31st, 2012, 9:46 am EDT
Sandfly,

I agree with Jason. The two genera are very similar morphologically, and though your photo doesn't provide the detail necessary to see many characters, L. cupida is a much larger insect and wouldn't usually be found in the kind of water that appears in the background. Also the tails are longer with the terminal filament (middle tail) noticably reduced on cupida. You didn't mention time of year or location, but assuming it's a recent photo and was taken in PA, this is undoubtedly a specimen of P. adoptiva (Blue Quill aka Mahogany Dun). The other Paraleptophlebia possibilities hatch later in the season, several much later.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Mar 31, 2012March 31st, 2012, 9:47 am EDT
Looks like Paraleptophlebia to me.
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Mar 31, 2012March 31st, 2012, 9:53 am EDT
coloration and wing shape are like Paraleptophlebia
Sandfly
tioga co. pa.

Sandfly on Apr 1, 2012April 1st, 2012, 2:31 am EDT
Thanks everyone, just seemed to dark to me..
sandfly
shop owner
N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. 688
I didn't Escape------They gave me a day pass !
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Apr 1, 2012April 1st, 2012, 9:27 am EDT
Just to mix things up a bit, and to spark some discussion, I'll throw the North American genera Habrophlebia and Habrophlebiodes into the mix here. In hand, how do you tell the duns of these, and most Paraleptophlebia apart?

Hint: I think one may be a little darker than the others and usually has more of an abdominal colour pattern.

What about wing shapes? Is size important in this instance?
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Apr 1, 2012April 1st, 2012, 11:26 am EDT
Luke -

I think we would be going a bit too far in the other direction with those generic possibilities. They're mostly under 5 mm, aren't they? I'm estimating the size of this critter at somewhere in the 7 - 8mm range. It is difficult to go by wing and body characters as the photo is blurry and stretched. If it weren't, I'd be looking closely at the tails and the hind wings for costal projection shape and location (if any) and also the forelegs.

As far as the body color hint, Habrophlebia vibrans (the only species of that genus known for North America) has a unique pattern of white triangles with a dark background on the middle 5 terga. Their opposite 5 ventral segs are almost solid white. Is that what you are referring to?

I suppose the species Leptophlebia johnsoni would have been an option if this specimen were a little larger, as it runs smaller than others in its genus. They can be fairly difficult to tell from larger Paraleptophlebia specimens when the latter approach 10mm.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply