Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Cheumatopsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Little Sister Sedge) Caddisfly Pupa from Cayuta Creek in New York
This is the first fully formed caddis pupa (technically, a pharate adult) that I've collected and photographed alive and healthy. I'll put a video of this specimen online soon, too.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Apr 23, 2007April 23rd, 2007, 11:11 am EDT
This looks like a hydropsychid to me, but I'd be happy to have comments from the experts.
Earlfishman
Earlfishman on Apr 23, 2007April 23rd, 2007, 2:56 pm EDT
With abdominal gills like that, and the hook plates on ab. 3-5 it sure looks like a Hydropsychidae to me as well.
Litobrancha
Knoxville TN

Litobrancha on Apr 24, 2007April 24th, 2007, 1:42 am EDT
probably cheumatopsyche... in hydropsyche/ceratopsyche the hooks at the posterior end of the abdomen are longer on the outside (distal), this one looks longer medially a la cheumatopsyche.

jason did you get this critter to emerge from the pupal shuck?
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Apr 24, 2007April 24th, 2007, 4:47 am EDT
Earl--thanks for the confirmation.

Lito--I suspected that this might be Cheumatopsyche, but I had no key. Thanks for the information about one of the distinguishing characters. Size, emergence timing, and wing/body colors were the things that made me lean toward Cheumatopsyche.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 24, 2007April 24th, 2007, 5:16 am EDT
I tried to let it emerge, but no luck.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Earlfishman
Earlfishman on Apr 24, 2007April 24th, 2007, 2:42 pm EDT
Lito,

Out of curiosity, do you have a reference for a key that takes Trichop pupae past family? That would be a handy thing to have access to.

Earl
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Dec 22, 2007December 22nd, 2007, 11:25 am EST
Earfishman - there is some information available for separating pupae to genus. Info for the hydropsychids is in Ross 1944.

Quick Reply