Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

This discussion is about Denali Highway.

Swampbuggy Lake. This is one of the prettiest scenes where the road winds along the Clearwater Mountains.

From Denali Highway in Alaska
Clearwater Mountains. This general area was the site of much of my frantic hunting action on the last day of the season, at morning and dusk.

Mt Deborah (left) and Hess Mountain (right)

Mt Deborah (left) and Hess Mountain (right)

Troutc
Troutc on Mar 9, 2012March 9th, 2012, 4:06 pm EST
Glad you didn't give away all the good fishing holes on the Denali Highway. Lived up there for 23 years and that road has some of the best Grayling fishing I've ever seen. I know there are a dozen little streams names Fish Creek in AK, but am wondering if the Fish Creek in your pictures in the same as the one on the Denali Highway. Nice Job
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Mar 9, 2012March 9th, 2012, 11:36 pm EST
The Fish Creek in my pictures isn't the one on the Denali Highway. It's true there's good grayling fishing all up and down that highway, but the same can be said for most of interior Alaska if you do some leg work off the road and explore.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply