Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Minnesota
Minnesota's profile picture
Caledonia MN/LaCrosse WI

Minnesota on Feb 12, 2012February 12th, 2012, 8:36 pm EST
If you could only have 5 flies in your box, what would they be. I'm looking for all around trout box. I would like to limit your choices to 2 drys, and 2 wets, and 1 your choice. My choices would be: Adams size 14, Mosquito size 12. Gold Ribbed Hares Ear size 12, Olive Caddis/Black Ostrich Hurl head size 16. and Blue-Winged Olive size 14. Thanks for all the responces.
Jason Moe
Minnesota
Caledonia MN/LaCrosse WI

Minnesota on Feb 12, 2012February 12th, 2012, 8:41 pm EST
I've caught alot of trout on a small black ant, size 16. Weighted black leech patterns work well too. If its 5 or 6, no big deal. We all would like to hear peoples favorite patterns, and the go to flies. Maybe a fly or two that you would have in your survival kit.
Jason Moe
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 12, 2012February 12th, 2012, 8:41 pm EST
When do you mostly fish and what type of water?
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Minnesota
Caledonia MN/LaCrosse WI

Minnesota on Feb 13, 2012February 13th, 2012, 10:02 am EST
Mostly spring and summer. Small streams.
Jason Moe
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Feb 13, 2012February 13th, 2012, 10:34 am EST
Here's my best go at it...
1. Adams/Parachute Adams #12-22
2. Elk Hair Caddis #12-16
3. Ausable Wulff #12-14
4. BH Hare's Ear Nymph #16-20
5. BH Pheasant Tail Nymph, same sizes
6. Woolly Buggers
7. Glo-bugs

Okay, so I went two over. I couldn't cut it down further than that, because I just couldn't imagine going on a trout stream without any of those. But those seven patterns are all I usually carry on familiar waters, outside of hopper season. That's not including a few of my own creations, most of which are streamers that I don't have names for.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
GldstrmSam
GldstrmSam's profile picture
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Feb 13, 2012February 13th, 2012, 10:39 am EST
6. Woolly Buggers

Definitely!!
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 13, 2012February 13th, 2012, 12:00 pm EST
green weenie
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Motrout
Motrout on Feb 13, 2012February 13th, 2012, 1:46 pm EST
green weenie

Yes, those are pretty great. Can't believe I forgot those.

"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
Minnesota
Caledonia MN/LaCrosse WI

Minnesota on Feb 13, 2012February 13th, 2012, 2:25 pm EST
Elk hair caddis is a good one too.
Jason Moe
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Feb 13, 2012February 13th, 2012, 2:27 pm EST
My selection would all be wet flies, so I'll give you three.

Black Gnat

Leisenring Spider

Partridge and Olive Emerger

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Minnesota
Caledonia MN/LaCrosse WI

Minnesota on Feb 13, 2012February 13th, 2012, 3:43 pm EST
Interesting choices. I like your leisenring spider.
Jason Moe
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 13, 2012February 13th, 2012, 4:16 pm EST
Well it is hard for me to narrow it down to five especially since when I get out on the water I probably have at least a couple of whatever flies are emerging on that day in various life cycle stages and at least two sizes.

Dries -

Adams #12 - #20
EHC olive body/Brown wing #12 - #20

Wets -

Black Wooly Bugger #2 - #10
Hares Ear nymph - (dark natural) #10 - #18

My choice fly is Gray over white Clouser #1 - #6
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Flatstick96
Flatstick96's profile picture
Flatstick96 on Feb 14, 2012February 14th, 2012, 5:28 am EST
Gotta have some wet black ants in the box.

Love all three of the wet flies Mark posted; I should have more wets in my box - I do really enjoy fishing them. I've had a lot of success in the past with one that he didn't list: the March Brown Spider.

A very simple #18 BHPT (no legs) is one I tend to do well with, quite often.

Shawnny's Gold Rush.

Last few trips back to central PA I've done well with a small baetis emerger pattern that I got from Steve at FFP years ago:

http://www.flyfishersparadise.com/fly-tying/baetis-emerger-bwo

Minnesota
Caledonia MN/LaCrosse WI

Minnesota on Feb 14, 2012February 14th, 2012, 9:22 am EST
I need to boost my wet fly selection also. Looks like the Adams and wooly buggers are must haves.
Jason Moe
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 14, 2012February 14th, 2012, 12:34 pm EST
I'm somewhat embarrassed to say I have never caught a trout on a soft hackle fly!

I tie some every year and they look pretty and when nothing is rising I put one on once in awhile but I don't know how to fish it. Do you fish it like a nymph? Cast a little up and across and mend to get a good drift or do you just throw it across and let it swing down in front of you and strip it back?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Feb 14, 2012February 14th, 2012, 3:12 pm EST
YES. Exactly. Wbranch, The thing is, wingless wets are so versatile, you can fish it by any of those methods. Most fishermen like to fish them on the swing. Take a look at this:
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/oldflies/part402.php

The techniques described in the article will work with wingless wets as well.
There are also some great upstream techniques which work as well as dry fly fishing, and as exciting because you can see the fly being taken by the fish.

Mark

"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Feb 14, 2012February 14th, 2012, 9:01 pm EST
For Dries id go a 14-16 adams, and a small 18-22 knat pattarn.
For Wets id go a hares ear and small pheasant tail.
For my other option id go with a woolly bugger of any color.
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Minnesota
Caledonia MN/LaCrosse WI

Minnesota on Feb 14, 2012February 14th, 2012, 10:55 pm EST
Its funny, i've been fly-fishing for over 25 years, and the Adams is my favorite to tie, and the best dry fly that I catch fish with. I've never talked to anyone else in these years about must haves. #1 on the list so far, is going to be the Adams..size 12-20. wide range of sizes, and I know there are differences in patterns. Hackle tip wing, hair wing, etc. Patterns and close sizes is what i'm looking for. Wooley Buggers and Hairs Ears might come in 2nd. Theres lots more ideas out there. We would all love to hear it. Thanks,,Jason
Jason Moe
Minnesota
Caledonia MN/LaCrosse WI

Minnesota on Feb 14, 2012February 14th, 2012, 11:06 pm EST
Talking about Wooley Buggers. My favorite pattern, colors, variation..is I like to add weight to it. I like to wrap some lead wire around the hook. I tie them will all black string, body, hackle, and the variation is, I like to cut the hackle down to about 1/8 inch, and add a 2 inch tail of black ostrich herl. It simulates a leech. I've caught tons of fish on it. I fish it like a jig, pull and strip.
Jason Moe
Motrout
Motrout on Feb 15, 2012February 15th, 2012, 10:18 am EST
Its funny, i've been fly-fishing for over 25 years, and the Adams is my favorite to tie, and the best dry fly that I catch fish with. I've never talked to anyone else in these years about must haves. #1 on the list so far, is going to be the Adams..size 12-20. wide range of sizes, and I know there are differences in patterns. Hackle tip wing, hair wing, etc. Patterns and close sizes is what i'm looking for. Wooley Buggers and Hairs Ears might come in 2nd. Theres lots more ideas out there. We would all love to hear it. Thanks,,Jason

Yes, Adams are definitely the one fly to have...I've probably caught more fish on those than all other dry flies combined, except Ausable Wulffs. And Ausable Wulffs are an odd case with me. Despite them not being even really being one of the most effective dries for the waters I fish, I usually find myself turning to them. I guess the only good reason I have is that whenever I use them, I'm reminded of the great times I've spent in the Adirondack high peaks, and they are really pretty flies and easy to see on the water. I sometimes have what other people would consider to be pretty odd ways of figuring out what fly to use, and often it doesn't have much to do with whether I think it will catch fish.

See why I'll never be that great of a fly fisherman? But I enjoy it, so it doesn't matter.

Quick Reply