Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Dec 15, 2011December 15th, 2011, 6:05 am EST
I was surprised to find an old creative endeavor of mine show up on the Purdue Entomology webpage. I actually had forgotten about this. But I thought some of your might enjoy it. Happy holidays!

Account of a Visit from Drunella grandis
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Dec 15, 2011December 15th, 2011, 6:15 am EST
Ok Luke...Was this a result of a slow day in the lab?! :) Funny stuff mister! and timely...;)

Maybe one of these years we can get you to Michigan so you can rap about our Hex...:)

Spence

Froehliche Weinachten!...and that goes for you too Herr Rohrbeck!
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Dec 15, 2011December 15th, 2011, 7:20 am EST
Wonderful! Thanks for that, Luke.

Quick Reply