Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Troutnut has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jul 19, 2011July 19th, 2011, 12:47 am EDT
Here's a little teaser from a few photos I'll be putting up soon. I thought it would be fun to see if people can figure out the genus & species of this critter.

It might be really easy or really tricky, I'm not sure, and I can't judge because I already know what it is. You can clearly see everything you need to identify it to species, but the weird perspective might make it challenging.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 19, 2011July 19th, 2011, 1:36 am EDT
OK, I'll guess Drunella doddsii.
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Jul 19, 2011July 19th, 2011, 3:14 am EDT
Jason, that's really cool. There are some similar pen and ink drawings out there of Japanese mayflies in some scientific papers. Action shots really bring the critters to life.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jul 19, 2011July 19th, 2011, 3:15 am EDT
Those of you familiar with my bug ID skills will know that this is just a hunch, but my immediate guess was March Brown, which I thought was Stenacron (my ID skills being matched by my knowledge of the Latin names for my IDs). After looking at Jason's database, though, I see that that constitutes two different guesses. So I guess I get two guesses.

-Shawn

P.S. I love the way the photo is shot, with the mysterious backlighting, like we're trying to guess the secret identity of a government witness. That's why I had to hazard a guess - too cool.
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jul 19, 2011July 19th, 2011, 7:42 am EDT
I'll say doddsi too -and ready to pop!

Clues:
-three tails
-wide femur
-Wide stance
-ventral patch of filaments hallowed in the backlight
-Jason had these in his latest collection
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jul 19, 2011July 19th, 2011, 9:40 am EDT
It is Drunella doddsii. Good job!

The general body profile points to the Ephemerellidae family, the beefy fore femora ("biceps") to Drunella, and the hairy suction disk below the abdomen says doddsii.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jul 19, 2011July 19th, 2011, 4:30 pm EDT
What do you mean, "Good job!"? I missed on both my guesses! At least I knew it was a mayfly...

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jul 19, 2011July 19th, 2011, 7:03 pm EDT
What do you mean, "Good job!"? I missed on both my guesses!

It sounded more polite than "Good job everybody but Shawn!" ;)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.

Quick Reply