Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Billj has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
Odd cased insects? found in all brook trout stomachs at ice out. water temp 35 F no emergers yet seen.
Billj
sunderland, vermont

Billj on Apr 23, 2011April 23rd, 2011, 5:28 am EDT
hello, I am stumped and the fish biologists here are shrugging and throwing out guesses as to what I have here.

most think its a diptera with the legs already dissolved but I disagree, its a hard casement and all of the ice out brook trout are full of them in the ponds here in S. VT.

what the heck are they?

half an inch in length to almost an inch, I will try to dissect one open this week if I catch more with them in it.

any help, would be thankfully accepted!

Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Apr 23, 2011April 23rd, 2011, 6:30 am EDT
Bill-

That is an aquatic soldier fly larva, family Stratiomyidae, probably genus Stratiomys. Please see this photo by Tom Murray.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Billj
sunderland, vermont

Billj on Apr 23, 2011April 23rd, 2011, 5:58 pm EDT
Fantastic! Thanks for the fast and accurate reply, these were new to me and I knew they weren't something with partially digested legs missing.

I'm very glad I found this site, great folks and very knowledgeable and helpful!
Bill
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Apr 23, 2011April 23rd, 2011, 6:36 pm EDT
Bill-

Your are welcome; my pleasure.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Apr 25, 2011April 25th, 2011, 4:05 am EDT
Thanks for posting it Billj. Gives us all a better bead on ice-out trout activity.

Quick Reply