Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

This discussion is about Glacier National Park.

Nickjc
Nickjc's profile picture
Michigan

Nickjc on Jul 7, 2011July 7th, 2011, 2:13 pm EDT
Hello,
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jul 8, 2011July 8th, 2011, 5:44 am EDT
Sorry to have no help for you, Nick...

I just noticed this cool new feature on Jason's site. Nick starts a page on GNP and a bunch of seemingly random bug photos pop up. Then I realized that the images were taken in GNP. Maybe not the most useful thing for Nick in this particular case, but I could see how it could be useful in other contexts.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jul 8, 2011July 8th, 2011, 6:51 am EDT
Nick,

I'm still wondering where they are up there in terms of the "run-off" snow-melt...Is it "spring" in Galcier yet? I think I'll second Shawn's comment about the new feature here on the site and add that the Gray Drake up there looks pretty interesting...

I have always been told, when in doubt, ask the locals...There has to be a fly shop or two up there and since you are just passing thru just have them select a "killer" dozen for you.

We have another Michigander here on this site, Nick, that swears by his KBF (Killer Bass Fly) and he claims it will catch anything from Shiners up to the Mighty Muskellunge..."One Fly Catches All"...Like good old Earl Scheib (man I'm showing my age there fellow Detroiters). Maybe he'll tie you up a dozen...;) Since you appear to be in the service maybe give you Earl's old car painting price of just $29.95.

"When Your Anchored Down in Anchorage", at one of the nearby bases, you behave yourself up there young man and remember you are "representin'", eh! :) In 1973 I crashed at the Y there and that town can get a little wild...I was only 19 and, I think it was 2nd Street (one of the numbered streets anyway) that was the hang out street, it was like the wild, wild west! There were MP's walking around with automatic weapons and it wasn't odd to see a few bar fights before the night was through...I was a little worried and I grew up in Dee-Troy-it...That was 1973 and they may have "cleaned up" the place since then.

Good luck up there and say hey to Jason our long lost wandering prodigal son!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jul 8, 2011July 8th, 2011, 10:05 am EDT
I just noticed this cool new feature on Jason's site. Nick starts a page on GNP and a bunch of seemingly random bug photos pop up. Then I realized that the images were taken in GNP. Maybe not the most useful thing for Nick in this particular case, but I could see how it could be useful in other contexts.

This is comparable to how the site puts pictures of specimens being discussed, or preview information and thumbnails of hatches being discussed, next to those topics. When the discussion is about a location (created from the Trout Streams & Rivers section of the site), pictures from that location show up. Normally they'll be a mixture of landscape, underwater, and insect pictures, which would seem more relevant. In this case the only pictures on the site from that park are Bob's bug photos, so that's what showed up.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jul 8, 2011July 8th, 2011, 11:58 am EDT
Nick,
Head into the back country a little way and throw humpies, trudes and wulffs. The westslopes love anything white in my limited experience.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jul 8, 2011July 8th, 2011, 12:46 pm EDT
http://vimeo.com/9652674

A friend sent this to me last week. A little something to get your juices flowing...
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 8, 2011July 8th, 2011, 2:22 pm EDT
Nick,

There is a 95% likelihood that you won't be finding any fly fishable moving water in any of the Montana waters. There was an immense snowpack in 2010 -2011 and the mountains have huge, and deep, snow fields. I don't know about the GNP drainage but the Missouri, Jefferson, Madsison, Gallatin, Big Hole, and Big Horn are all far too high to wade. I cancelled my annual trip to the Missouri - it is usually about 6500 cfs but now it is running at 22,500 cfs and there is no end in sight. I'm providing a USGS link to all of the MT rivers and streams. Be careful and good luck.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/mt/nwis/current?type=flow
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
RanchMT
RanchMT's profile picture
Bozeman, MT

RanchMT on Apr 11, 2017April 11th, 2017, 10:41 am EDT
Going off of Spencer's comment earlier, there are plenty of fly shops you can stop by and ask for assistance in what flies to use during certain types of the year and on which rivers. One place is Sportsman & Ski Haus in Kalispell. It's located in the Hutton ranch plaza on the way from Kalispell to Whitefish. Their fishing department is great and very helpful with giving you tips on what flies to use. There are also a couple of fly shops in Columbia Falls that will probably be able to assist you. I haven't been to either of those shops but everyone in the Flathead Valley is pretty easy going and helpful. Hopefully this helps in some way or another.

Quick Reply