Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 11 pictures. The message is below.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 27, 2011May 27th, 2011, 6:17 pm EDT
Well, this isn't a fish picture but I had to include it anyway as I encountered this most precious of creatures while doing some non-fishing recon for brookies in a secluded location not far from my house. The body of water in question is a designated trout lake which has had some recent management issues and is in the process of being restored to proper brook trout habitat after being invaded by yellow perch from someone's bait bucket (it's now artificials only, also with a 1-fish-per-day limit and minimum length of 15", which should keep most people's enthusiasm at a minimum). I took a hike around the whole thing, all the way up the spring-fed feeder creek until I ran out of water, then coming back down the other side found this little newborn fawn hiding in the grass. I spoke to Bambi in soft reassuring tones while I pulled out my camera and snapped four quick shots, then walked carefully away without disturbing the sweet little cherub anymore. Even better still, I saw a nice pool downstream with a dark 6-inch-ish fish that was likely a brookie, and came across tiny minnow-sized fishies with distinct spots on their sides - trout fry!! I will likely be hitting this body of water soon, perhaps tomorrow if the weather doesn't go to crap again, with my kayak and 3-weight. Woolly Buggers away!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on May 28, 2011May 28th, 2011, 9:37 am EDT
Love seeing the shots it looks like a beautiful, not to often touched by man place to get away and do some wild fish hunting! Hit everyone witht he results afterwards.
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on May 30, 2011May 30th, 2011, 5:59 am EDT
Wow, awesome pics!! Some of you guys on this site are really just tremendous photographers!! I belong to several different fly-fishing forums and this one, by far, has the best pics!!
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 30, 2011May 30th, 2011, 9:39 am EDT
Thanks again! And I just have a little Nikon Coolpix point-n-shoot, it does take some surpisingly good photos, except sometimes for wildflower shots it autofocuses on the background and not the flower. Back in the old days (1980s) I used to carry around a big Nikon EL 35 mm film camera with a case full of lenses (wide-angle, macro, telephoto) and of course it took nice photos too, but man, these little digital things go right in your vest pocket! Plus no film to worry about carrying, developing, etc. and you can take as many shots as you want and just throw away the ones that aren't in perfect focus. AND load them right up on here!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on May 30, 2011May 30th, 2011, 5:10 pm EDT
Very nice. Sure is wonderful finding fawns. What a treat.

Quick Reply