Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Case view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
It's only barely visible in one of my pictures, but I confirmed under the microscope that this one has a prosternal horn and the antennae are mid-way between the eyes and front of the head capsule.

I'm calling this one Pycnopsyche, but it's a bit perplexing. It seems to key definitively to at least Couplet 8 of the Key to Genera of Limnephilidae Larvae. That narrows it down to three genera, and the case seems wrong for the other two. The case looks right for Pycnopsyche, and it fits one of the key characteristics: "Abdominal sternum II without chloride epithelium and abdominal segment IX with only single seta on each side of dorsal sclerite." However, the characteristic "metanotal sa1 sclerites not fused, although often contiguous" does not seem to fit well. Those sclerites sure look fused to me, although I can make out a thin groove in the touching halves in the anterior half under the microscope. Perhaps this is a regional variation.

The only species of Pycnopsyche documented in Washington state is Pycnopsyche guttifera, and the colors and markings around the head of this specimen seem to match very well a specimen of that species from Massachusetts on Bugguide. So I am placing it in that species for now.

Whatever species this is, I photographed another specimen of seemingly the same species from the same spot a couple months later.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/commoncontent.fnc on line 837

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/commoncontent.fnc on line 838

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/commoncontent.fnc on line 839

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/urls.fnc on line 81

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/urls.fnc on line 82

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/jasonn5/func/urls.fnc on line 83
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Apr 18, 2011April 18th, 2011, 9:55 am EDT
I think we need more emoticons, so that when people post things like this...

Anyway...Tony and I know it's going to be Pittsburgh/Detroit in the Finals

...it will be more obvious that they are joking. Otherwise, someone might unwittingly take offense. Or, what Tony said.

-Shawn

P.S. I got your joke, Jason, but just barely. I was so in shock at the use of text-speak that I almost missed it.
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 19, 2011April 19th, 2011, 7:07 am EDT
I think we need more emoticons

Shawn,

Do we really need to give Spence access to more emoticons?! If the old-fart emotes any more he's going to explode...

Spence

Lets go Red Wings!
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Apr 19, 2011April 19th, 2011, 9:17 am EDT
oh, good, now this is my kind of forum: one of the threads has been well and truly hijacked so we can discuss important topics while pretending to do something else more worthwhile, and i can join in:

somebody has to do it so i will: GO CAPS!! oh...Jason...are you a closet Ranger fan?
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 19, 2011April 19th, 2011, 12:14 pm EDT
are you a closet Ranger fan?

So far in the closet I had to look up who they are were!

When I was 8 I was subscribed to Ranger Rick, if that counts.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 19, 2011April 19th, 2011, 10:25 pm EDT
Wow I feel like an idiot... I just found a ridiculous bug that's been on the live site for 4+ years! The full-size versions of all the relatively new images (specifically the ones with the semi-transparent watermarks, not the old black-and-white watermarks) were actually PNG images disguised as .jpg files, so they were all about 10 times bigger than they should be! No wonder the full-size images loaded so slowly. Needless to say I'm fixing it so they'll all load about 10x faster after the update.

I wonder how many terabytes of bandwidth I've wasted thanks to that.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 20, 2011April 20th, 2011, 2:25 am EDT
I wonder how many terabytes of bandwidth I've wasted thanks to that.

No need to worry Ranger Rick, once its up and running Spence will just eat up those "terabytes" anyway, like he just did his morning bagel & cream cheese and hard-boiled egg...:)

Feed the monster!!!

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Apr 20, 2011April 20th, 2011, 3:46 am EDT
No need to worry Ranger Rick, once its up and running Spence will just eat up those "terabytes" anyway, like he just did his morning bagel & cream cheese and hard-boiled egg...:)

We all know what results from eating bagels & cream cheese and hard boiled eggs. I guess that explains your posts this morning.

Just kidding Spence, it’s good to see you’re back.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 20, 2011April 20th, 2011, 5:54 am EDT
:) Allan...Your aren't insinuating I'm stinking up the forum are you? ;) Oops!!

Sitting on the bank with a fishing buddy years ago and he let one rip, as they say, and then he came up with the following..."Spence. There isn't anything worse than a wader fart...It's trapped down there and leaks out through the opening here not too far from your nose...I think I'll invent one of those air fresheners that will hang down here from the top lip of my waders...What do ya think?" "Well...From where I'm sitting, down wind from you, I'd say that may be a great idea. Too bad they don't chase mosquitoes away!"

That one's for Kurt...

Spence

Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Apr 20, 2011April 20th, 2011, 8:46 am EDT
Too bad they don't chase mosquitoes away!"

That one's for Kurt...

Spence, I may be wrong, but I detect a subliminal message in those words. If I’m correctly inferring what you are implying, you’ve got me rofL.

P.S. My apology to Jason for contributing to the high-jacking of this topic. Maybe a "Report Abuse" button is called for.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 20, 2011April 20th, 2011, 9:11 am EDT
rofL.

Could someone PM me and explain this? All these new initials for everything is leaving this old dog in the dark...

Spence

Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Apr 20, 2011April 20th, 2011, 9:57 am EDT
Spence-

RofL!... RofL!

I think its a bark from an old dog in the dark...:)

As far as mosquito repellent; speak for yourself! Mine work pretty good which is why I loosen the wader belt occasionally....

The hijack is complete...

Kurt

"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 20, 2011April 20th, 2011, 3:12 pm EDT
2) A guide to capitalization in writing.

rofL

Okay, for all the confused souls out there: ROFL is one of the first Internet abbreviations, from way back in the 90s, and it means "rolling on the floor laughing." Of course nobody who uses it is actually on the floor, so really it just means "haha that's funny."

I was replying to a complaint about capitalization, so I screwed it up by by capitalizing only the last letter, in an (apparently misguided) attempt at ironic humor.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 20, 2011April 20th, 2011, 3:44 pm EDT
How can you be "rofL" if you're not actually on the floor? And if you actually ARE on the floor, how can you be typing on your computer that you are "rofL"-ing? Oh wait, I forgot, everyone except me has a laptop these days - you can take it with you when you fall out of your chair while "rofL"-ing!

Perhaps we need guides to:

1) Internet abbreviations like "rofL"; and

2) Internet humor (for Spence anyway).

There, two more suggestions for improvements to your website, Jason!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Apr 20, 2011April 20th, 2011, 3:52 pm EDT
Hi Jonathan,

rolF. It appears I may not the only one on this forum who is literal to the point of inducing pain in others. :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 20, 2011April 20th, 2011, 3:55 pm EDT
Roger, all I can say is:

:oO

JMD
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 21, 2011April 21st, 2011, 5:40 am EDT
P.S. My apology to Jason for contributing to the high-jacking of this topic. Maybe a "Report Abuse" button is called for.

Allan,

I wish you could of seen my respose to this...It was high-lar-i-ous! and not in the least bit subliminal...It ended with me debating on whether or not I should post it or not...I went to post it and I'd timed-out...How's that for funny?! When I tried to log back in I somehow lost my post...

I'm taking it as a message from the blogging gods to clean up my ways...If my responses, in the future, actually time out before I post them...Then they must be too long...No more Leo and a little more Ezra...Hmmm...Bad choice there with Ezra...Anyway! You get the point...No more trilogies and a little more poetry...In fact I'm typing this so quickly now there could be some mistakes...

I'm sorry too Ranger Rick!

Spence

Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Apr 21, 2011April 21st, 2011, 7:48 am EDT
Jonathan-

If :oO is an emoticom, its meaning must be a closely guarded secret.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Apr 21, 2011April 21st, 2011, 11:56 am EDT
I just found a ridiculous bug...

yeah, there's a lot of them around here...

ow! ouch! okay! okay! stop! i won't do it again!! sorry!! just couldn't resist...B-)
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra

Quick Reply