Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Female Procloeon (Baetidae) (Tiny Sulphur Dun) Mayfly Dun from Enfield Creek in New York
This dun of a fairly large Baetidae species was one of only a couple I saw all evening.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 28, 2012June 28th, 2012, 5:44 am EDT
Now this is some serious bug identification. I was just wondering about the color of the darn things. But it's impressive to see what can go into determining the specifics. Procloeon it is. Now if Shawn or I can just get some shots of those evening hatching "olives."
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jun 28, 2012June 28th, 2012, 8:39 am EDT
Now this is some serious bug identification. I was just wondering about the color of the darn things.

Yes, sorry for getting away from your original intent. Lest there be any confusion, the latter part of this thread was focused on Jason's specimen from more than 6 years ago. I don't think there is any debate over my initial responses to your question. Based on what you described, I seriously doubt there is any connection between these two other than possibly sharing the same genus. If I were to hazard a guess, I would still say that your tiny sulfur or tan ones are probably a species of Centroptilum based on commonness. Having said that, there is certainly nothing wrong with referring to them as Procloeon if you wish - it is easier to pronounce.:) To say the concept of speciation in this branch of the Baetidae family is a bit murky is probably an understatement. Discussing the differences between species and placing them in genera using current nomenclature may prove to have been an exercise in grasping at mist some day. Especially when using the old standards of size, color, and hind wing conformation. Heck, we're already there in the latter regard.

Though the tiny olives could be from any number of baetid genera, your suggestion about the possibility of Plauditus is far from dubius.:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Sherryspinn
Hunterdon County NJ

Sherryspinn on Nov 10, 2015November 10th, 2015, 8:56 pm EST
Thanks gentlemen! That was educational.

Quick Reply