Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Female Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
This specimen was collected on the same trip as a similar dun.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 6, 2010April 6th, 2010, 6:27 am EDT
Jason, Taxon, Gonzo et al...

This one seems to have slipped through the id gauntlet...Does anyone want to hazzard a guess on the species level? BWO is a bit broad...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 6, 2010April 6th, 2010, 1:08 pm EDT
Going to genus level for the Baetidae can be really tricky, and species level is even harder. The scientific keys don't provide any way to identify the female duns. It may be that someone very familiar with the family can recognize it by sight, but if I were to try I would have to fall back on the standard angler's method of identifying Baetids: pull a name out of a hat. "Let's see here... it's (rummage rummage rummage)... it's Baetis vagans" (That's no longer a valid species, but it is the name that seems to get pulled out of the hat most often.)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Apr 6, 2010April 6th, 2010, 1:42 pm EDT
Jason, now you're being intentionally vague, aren't you?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply