Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionHuntington County
Specific LocationSeveral well known trout streams
Dates FishedSeveral days last week
Time of Dayvarious
Fish Caughtlots of trout 10" - 18"
Conditions & HatchesDon't care about hatches - I catch fish on live nymphs, especially those white worms in those little stick houses, shiners, and some artificial nymphs

Details and Discussion

Cdcaddis18
Huntington, PA

Cdcaddis18 on Jul 4, 2009July 4th, 2009, 11:58 pm EDT
Had a great week pinning, caught many trout every day. Am glad I moved to this area of PA! Lots of trout are eager to eat my baits. Limited out every day and have a couple dozen 12" - 18" browns in my freezer.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jul 5, 2009July 5th, 2009, 2:14 pm EDT
Glad for your success, Cdcaddis18, and welcome to the forum. Also, welcome to the area - I am also a transplant here from upstate NY. I would only suggest that you fill your freezer with smaller fish and leave the bigger ones to fight (and spawn) another day. A little digital camera would nicely preserve the memory of the larger ones without cluttering up your freezer. If the streams you fished are indeed well known, then the fish you caught had probably been caught and released many times by other anglers for the future enjoyment of others, in this case you. Try to be mindful that most streams here in Central PA are pretty heavily pressured, and that your fishing would likely not have been nearly as successful on this outing if every angler before you had limited out on big fish.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 12, 2009July 12th, 2009, 2:30 pm EDT
Pinning is a very deadly method to present natural bait or nymphs to trout. Skillful pinners can easily decimate fertile trout streams.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 12, 2009July 12th, 2009, 3:07 pm EDT
Westbranch, I hope you and Shawn can prevail on this guy to release his fish before they are all gone!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply