Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lateral view of a Isoperla (Perlodidae) (Stripetails and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Adult from Cayuta Creek in New York
Several stoneflies of this species were flying around a small stream last night. I tied on a brown drake imitation of about the right size/color to approximate these stones, and was rewarded with a hard-fighting 17-inch brown trout.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jul 30, 2006July 30th, 2006, 3:49 am EDT
I haven't had time to look through my stonefly keys yet. It's a pretty small yellow fly, so I'm guessing Chloroperlidae, though I have no real reason to rule out Perlodidae.

I've saved it in alcohol to key out under a microscope at some later date, but it'll be a while before I have time.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 30, 2006July 30th, 2006, 8:24 am EDT
Jason-

Likely Isoperla, perhaps I. bilineata.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jul 30, 2006July 30th, 2006, 8:58 am EDT
Ok, I'll move it over to Isoperla for now. According to Swisher and Richards, bilineata is an olive and brown species, so I don't think it's that one. This one is distinctly yellow; the brown accents are exaggerated a bit in the photo processing because it just looks so cool.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply