Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

NickP has attached these 2 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Jun 4, 2009June 4th, 2009, 3:13 pm EDT
trying to see if one darkens or the other lightens is an excellent place to start, and I'll be anxious to hear the results; but i'm still interested to see if we could get dna out of them, and if so, what it says. thanks for trying!
NickP
WNY

NickP on Jun 4, 2009June 4th, 2009, 4:54 pm EDT

well holy cats i actually found those old photos, both male and female. i would say these were taken between 16-24 hours after i caught them on the stream. you can see the tails are elongated and the abdomen is still light on top. they were taken in 2001 and you can see the insects are on a sheet of foam rather than streamside stuff.

i also had two people tell me they saw almost no duns tonight but tons of spinners which also never fell. the hatch is likely waning and hopefully myself or someone else from the area can snag a dun or two before it's all over.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 4, 2009June 4th, 2009, 5:40 pm EDT
Hey guys,

I love this thread, and can't seem to keep my oar out of the water, even at risk of catching a crab. I believe your latest two photos to be of an Ephemera guttulata male and female spinner, rather than being duns.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
NickP
WNY

NickP on Jun 5, 2009June 5th, 2009, 12:10 am EDT
Roger- on this i am certain, those two pics are of duns. the next day both bugs were 3/4 dead and trapped in their molted dun shucks. i remember that clearly but i did not photograph the dead spinners.

this pic of a female spinner shows how much darker and more contrasted their color becomes and the wing loses the vast majority of it's green color. you can also see the abdomen right through the hind wing. i do use flash in my photos and it does tend to reflect off the wings, making them look shinier.

GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jun 5, 2009June 5th, 2009, 2:35 am EDT
Wow, Nick, I'm sold. I've seen lots of variation in Green Drakes in the past--creamy ones, yellowish ones, grayish ones, and greenish ones--but light-backed and dark-backed duns hatching at the same time is completely new to me. I can see why Roger thought the ones in the new photos might be spinners, but the forelegs of the male are clearly those of a dun. Although I thought my more prosaic explanation might prevail, this is not just a matter of darkening. Now, I'm truly intrigued.

Please redouble your efforts to get some of these to Konchu. Thank you for sharing the photos of this very interesting and unusual population.
NickP
WNY

NickP on Jun 5, 2009June 5th, 2009, 3:20 am EDT
Lloyd and everyone thank you so much for the help with this puzzling situation. hopefully with Konchu's help we can find out for sure what they are. i will post on my site to see if someone can get us a dun to test since i'm tied up this weekend and likely won't be able to get down there till early next week.

there is another guy from my area on here, DOS. if you can help out with this little experiment i would greatly appreciate it. i think you know what stream they are from if not PM me.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 10, 2009June 10th, 2009, 2:59 pm EDT
Guys, if you haven't looked at Nick's page take the time to pull it up. Some amazing photos and great fly recipes.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply