Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Artistic view of a Male Hexagenia atrocaudata (Ephemeridae) (Late Hex) Mayfly Spinner from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Fishcraze
Fishcraze on May 27, 2009May 27th, 2009, 6:13 am EDT
I know in North Alabama these flies usually hatch in Jun. What climate/water temperatures are required for hatching? Does it normally have to be dry/no rain for a week?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions. I promised my 12 year old, I was going to take him this year and I'm trying to plan my leave at the closest possible time.

Fishcraze
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on May 27, 2009May 27th, 2009, 6:51 am EDT
Fishcraze,

Assuming that you are referring to Hexagenia hatches and not mayflies in general, the Hex hatches are typically quite lengthy--often lasting a month or more. You should not have too much trouble timing the hatch. Cooler than normal long-term weather patterns might delay the onset the hatching period a bit, and warmer than normal weather might accelerate it. Daily weather during the hatching period will influence the concentration and quality of the hatch. I find that the heaviest Hexagenia hatches usually occur on fairly hot days, but the sparser hatches on cooler, overcast days sometimes provide more time to fish. The concentrated, explosive hatches that often occur on warm evenings happen around (or after) dark and can be over in half an hour.
Trtklr
Banned
Michigan

Trtklr on May 31, 2009May 31st, 2009, 7:12 am EDT
in june if its been "normal" weather i wait for a few hot, humid days and warm nights, then i know its time. this year with the global cooling thats been going on things are running 2-3 weeks behind.
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.

Quick Reply