Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Patcrisci
Lagrangeville, NY

Patcrisci on Mar 26, 2009March 26th, 2009, 6:53 am EDT
WOW --- These are some great deals!!!
Pat Crisci
Janvier1
Janvier1's profile picture
Canada

Janvier1 on Mar 25, 2015March 25th, 2015, 4:25 am EDT
And about Chines reels? since two eayrs I use them.. the cheap at $20-30. I catcth at more 3 pound trout. And the job is done. Aluminium reel, honest drag. I have Tica reel..for me realy bad. I have Okuma SLV, good one as chinese.
Johncl
Johncl's profile picture
New Hampshire USA

Johncl on Mar 26, 2015March 26th, 2015, 3:05 pm EDT
Okuma SLV great little reel under $100 with an extra spool.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Apr 14, 2020April 14th, 2020, 4:38 pm EDT
Bumping this up for the guy asking about a reel.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Red_green_h
Red_green_h's profile picture
New Mexico

Red_green_h on May 1, 2020May 1st, 2020, 1:49 am EDT
If you don't mind Chinese made stuff try Piscifun. I've picked up a couple of their reels and have pleasantly surprised. They are machined aluminum. The most expensive reel is right around $100. I also have a few Redington Crosswaters that I like, cheap and expendable.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 1, 2020May 1st, 2020, 8:52 am EDT
I just looked up the Piscifun web site and there are about six fly reel models, in various line sizes, from about $35 - $100. They appear to be nice looking reels although I have no idea of the workmanship.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Red_green_h
New Mexico

Red_green_h on May 2, 2020May 2nd, 2020, 3:37 am EDT
I have a 5/6 Sword, 3/4 Sword 2, and a 5/6 Crest. I really like the Sword 2. I have it paired with 7'6" 3 weight Redington Path rod. It's becoming my new favorite setup. I fished the Jemez River yesterday and loved how it performed. Didn't catch anything but man it was great to get out.
The Crest reel is a nice reel. The only thing i don't like about it is that the spool disingages by "popping off" the spool. But everything is sealed. If i were to do it again i would buy the Platte instead.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 2, 2020May 2nd, 2020, 5:28 am EDT
Red_green wrote,

The only thing i don't like about it is that the spool disingages by "popping off"

That is pretty much how all the Lamson spools are removed. You hold the reel with two hands with the spool facing down. Put your thumbs into the ports on the housing and press down firmly until the spool is freed. Keep your undex fingers under the spool so it doesn't fall out on the floor or ground. I've had Lamson's for over twenty years and never had a problem. I guess I just got used to it. Great reel. I have a 1.5 Litespeed and a Speedster.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Red_green_h
New Mexico

Red_green_h on May 2, 2020May 2nd, 2020, 7:17 am EDT

That is pretty much how all the Lamson spools are removed.

That's interesting. Here I thought it was just a cheap Chinese trick. I'm actually relieved a little.

Quick Reply