Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jjlyon01
SUNY Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse

Jjlyon01 on Nov 17, 2008November 17th, 2008, 7:29 am EST
Since the failure of my cold water tank (cooled by running 40 feet of tubing through a mini fridge; got the temps down to about 55 for 3 weeks until the old mini fridge burned out). I was going to put trout fingerlings into the tank before it burned out and already had some mayfly, stonefly nymphs, and caddis larvae along with a few scuds and a helgramite larvae. They are all doing great even though they had a sudden increase in temps and the introduction of a few fish they have never seen before (black ghost knife and german rams). I figured they might live a few days like this and either die in the heat or be eaten by the fish. They, however, seem to be thriving and the caddis even show signs of maybe hatching soon. This changes my mind about some summer streams. I have the water well oxygenated. I think many streams dont support huge hatches in the summer primarily due to the lack of oxygen. Does this conclusion that I have made make any sense?
"I now walk into the wild"
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Nov 17, 2008November 17th, 2008, 9:30 am EST
Jamie-

I think many streams dont support huge hatches in the summer primarily due to the lack of oxygen. Does this conclusion that I have made make any sense?

That could certainly be one factor, but there are others. Among them would be clean water, appropriate habitat, and adequate food supply.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Nov 17, 2008November 17th, 2008, 11:05 am EST
Many invertebrates found in trout streams have a wide range of temperature tolerances and will thrive at room temperature during the summer. Some will not.

It's very interesting to consider why there are fewer hatches during the heat of summer.

I doubt that dissolved oxygen is a primary reason. There certainly aren't enough insects in most streams to significantly deplete what oxygen there is. The overall level will be lower when it's warm, but there are still plenty of nymphs in the stream that are waiting to emerge during the fall, or even at night.

It's more likely that insects are just trying to avoid the hot, dry midsummer midday conditions, because they dry out the adults and the heat probably increases their metabolism and makes them burn through their limited energy more quickly. This idea fits well with the observation that hatches move toward the very early morning and very late evening when it's hot outside.

Another possible reason there are fewer emergences during midsummer may be that floods and droughts are more common and unpredictable at that time. A poorly timed flood at emergence time could really screw up a population.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply