Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Aug 3, 2008August 3rd, 2008, 6:33 am EDT
Is today's banner from the upper Mongaup Creek in NYS near the conservation camp?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Aug 3, 2008August 3rd, 2008, 5:48 pm EDT
No, but good guess! There are some pics somewhere on this site from that stretch of Mongaup, I think. I've got lots of bugs from there. (When I fished it, I didn't catch anything... maybe 1 small brookie.)

Today's header is from the nearby West Fork of the Neversink.

Also, here's a link to the one we're talking about, since it will change tomorrow and leave everybody confused:

http://www.troutnut.com/im_header/header_63.jpg
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Aug 3, 2008August 3rd, 2008, 6:37 pm EDT
The upper Mongaup near the conservation camp used to have plentiful wild browns in the 9" - 12" class. Then in late September and into October if you went right where the damn is almost across the street from the camp pond you might see twenty plus large browns milling around staging for their spawning event. Many would be in a 18" - 24" range. However the season closes September 30 so all you could do was look and drool.

It is in the upper Mongaup where I once saw a male brookie courting a female brown on a redd.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply