Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General Regionnear Conowingo dam

Details and Discussion

Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on May 7, 2008May 7th, 2008, 5:55 am EDT
any suggestions? I am open to non-trout species... would love to pick up a hickory shad on the fly... but any pretty stream that I can flyfish will work. I will be down there next week and would like to sneak out...
I am haunted by waters
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on May 7, 2008May 7th, 2008, 11:36 am EDT
Mcjames,
Not sure how far it would be but both Big Hunting and Big Owens are very pretty streams which also contain trout. These streams are found near the town of Thurmont just north of Frederick on US15.

Unfortunatly you are probably a month an a half late for the Shad Runs on the susquehanna and Deer Creek. I havent checked the water temps in a while but the Susquehanna flats cold be worth checking out for cow Rockfish or other warm water species that tolerate brackish and tidal waters.

Hope those tidits prove useful.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on May 7, 2008May 7th, 2008, 1:25 pm EDT
There is plenty of access to Big Hunting along 77 near Thurmont. The Potomac is probably a good bet for smallies and panfish. Also, trout in the north branch of the potomac. Call Murray at Hunting Creek Outfitters in Frederick. He should be able to help you out, or at least know someone who could. http://www.huntingcreekoutfitters.com/
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on May 8, 2008May 8th, 2008, 1:44 am EDT
thanks guys! I truly appreciate the help. JohnW-- can I wade the "Susquehanna Flats"?
I am haunted by waters
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on May 8, 2008May 8th, 2008, 10:17 am EDT
In areas you can however it is a huge tidal basin, actually the very top of the Chesepeake Bay so access to a boat can make it great. I would think there would be reasonable access to things like white perch, and the like in close that could be great fun with the long rod.
You will need to check with MD DCNR as there are some special regs for fishing the flats due to it being a major spawning ground for linesiders.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 11, 2008May 11th, 2008, 3:33 pm EDT
You also need a MD tidal license.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Joshbentz
Thurmont, MD

Joshbentz on May 21, 2008May 21st, 2008, 1:25 pm EDT
I have to agree with JOHNW and Grannom. I live in the Thurmont area and Big Huning Creek and Owens Creek are good spots. There is about four miles of public fishing on both creeks. The only hold up is that Big Hunting Creek, where it runs through Catoctin Mountain Park, is catch and release but it is wonderful to fish for Brook, Brown and Rainbow. Owens Creek is stocked through out the spring and once or twice in the summer. But if you are into hiking you can fish some good natural fish along Rt. 550 north of Thurmont between Eylers Valley and Sabillasville.
Mcjames
Cortland Manor, NY

Mcjames on May 22, 2008May 22nd, 2008, 6:49 am EDT
thanks for all the info... went down there and all the streams were blown out. ended up spin fishing right below the dam elbow to elbow with ~20 other guys... not ideal but did catch an interesting mix of species: hickory shad, white perch, walleye, and a few stripers
I am haunted by waters

Quick Reply