Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionNorthern Wisconsin
Specific LocationDouglas / Bayfield Counties
Dates FishedMid June
Time of DayEvening
Fish CaughtBrown Trout, Brook Trout
Conditions & HatchesStable, Hex

Details and Discussion

AftonAngler
Brule, WI

AftonAngler on Jun 16, 2006June 16th, 2006, 7:21 am EDT
I posted this in the ' Hex' area on June 10th.

Since then I have ran into the buggers on my home stream and have heard rumors of them on nearby waters too.

Saw my first spinners under the lights in the yard on June 13th. June 14th my buddy Ed Philpot and I ran into a good rise to a light emergence. There was a sparse selection of subimagoes out and the fish were really keying in on them.

It made for very exciting fishing...hard to explain because it was sooo perfect out. Just enough fish rising but rising sporadically enough to keep you on your toes. If you were very patient and left your fly on the water for a long spell they would find it!

The trick was to totally stay focused on your pattern in the very dark night. It is not easy as the fish are cruising and are prone to rise right next to the boat and over there and over here too.

Takes are epic and the fish are in good shape and really put up a fight when hooked. The wind was completely calm and the water was like glass. Jumps are a work of art - like breaking glass then hanging just so until the reentry and breaking glass once again.

Whiporwills and stars complete the package....

Thursday night should have been a boom but ended being a no show night for the Hex. Perfect conditions and a few fish but suprisingly quite. Beautiful to be out in the Glory none the less.

Whiporwills were very late getting started and the fireflies are getting in the swing now too. The waning moon is up late and we should be entering a perfect stretch of Hex-a-rama in the next ten days!

Here is from the 10th:

Well the Hex is right on the cusp of happening...

I have heard rumors of some being spotted on the Nam...about right. I usually set me clock by the Solstice but this season is about ten days to two weeks ahead.

I expect them to show on the Brule anytime too. The next warming trend should usher in some of the big fellows and that will mean no sleep for a couple of weeks for this cat.

I need to sit down and get to tying. I had great success last year with a very 'soft' spinner pattern I dubbed Baby Doll Hex. It was floppy by hex spinner standards and best the pants off the stiff Lucca style patterns that look good int he fly bin but are not for me on the end of my leader when the rubber hits the road!

I also need to reread Galloup's "Cripples and Spinners" - a wealth of info on this aspect of the sport. Great for inspiring tying ideas...

Anyone confirm the reports?
See you on the Water.

Brad Bohen

The Afton Angler
www.AftonAngler.com
brad@AftonAngler.com
See you on the Water.

Brad Bohen

The Afton Angler
www.BradBohen.com
AftonAngler@BradBohen.com

Quick Reply