Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 7, 2008April 7th, 2008, 5:54 pm EDT
I couldn't pass up posting this little feel-good story I found on MidCurrent.

At a rally in Missoula, Montana the other day, Barack Obama said,

"You guys have a good deal around here. This is some pretty country. I think I need to learn fly fishing. Get some waders, go out there, clear my head."

He even signed a trout (ok, a picture of one):

Among those who had to wait in the football stadium was Dan Taylor, a 46-year-old cook at a local sports bar who had been inspired to make a sign for the rally. He broke down a cardboard box and drew on it, in bold colors, "TROUT FOR OBAMA," accompanied by a colorful illustration of a rainbow trout, which he drew with the help of a book, because he "wanted to get it authentic-looking."

An Obama staffer saw the sign in the stands, told Taylor, "Hey, that's pretty," and offered to try to get it signed by the candidate, even though his staff generally tries not to bog him down with pen duty. After Obama walked the length of the stands shaking hands, the staffer got the cardboard signed and passed it back up to Taylor. Five minutes later, the cook was still in shock, looking down at his fish with a dark, clearly legible "Barack Obama" cursive next to it.

Pssst, Barack... there's no better fish to learn on than Arctic grayling! And there's no better place to fish for grayling than my current home river, the Chena. Hint, hint!

Note: Any argumentative political replies will be deleted immediately because they're destructive to a forum community. I just posted this 'cause it's a nice, relevant story. So the rule for this thread is: if you don't have anything nice to say (about Obama) don't say anything at all. ;)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Apr 8, 2008April 8th, 2008, 12:30 am EDT
What if I have something nice to say about Hillary?

-Shawn

P.S. Nice story.
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Chris_3g
Chris_3g on Apr 8, 2008April 8th, 2008, 2:32 am EDT
We don't really need to say anything bad about the candidates; they do a fine job of tearing themselves down without our help!

Fun story!

Chris.
Mtskibum
Montana

Mtskibum on Apr 8, 2008April 8th, 2008, 7:32 am EDT
He was just saying what people from montana want to hear. He doesnt actually want to take up fly fishing.

I dont mind banning political threads, or allowing them and allowing discussion, but discussion does involve negative things.

You saying that we cant say negative things about obama, also kind of implies that he is the official candidate of the site. Since you being the person in charge of the site starting a thread on him and then not allowing negative comments.
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Apr 8, 2008April 8th, 2008, 8:00 am EDT
"TROUT FOR OBAMA,"

OK, I can understand the Trout endorsing Obama. Maybe they think that he is the only candidate that can get them off the hook.

Pssst, Barack... there's no better fish to learn on than Arctic grayling! And there's no better place to fish for grayling than my current home river, the Chena. Hint, hint!

However, I doubt that the Arctic grayling would agree with that endorsement now that Jason has offered to put them on the hook.

Note: Any argumentative political replies will be deleted immediately because they're destructive to a forum community. I just posted this 'cause it's a nice, relevant story. So the rule for this thread is: if you don't have anything nice to say (about Obama) don't say anything at all. ;)

Now, I believe in the democratic process and my right to express my opinion and I will abide by the above stated rule. To qualify myself let me say that I like Obama.

All that being said, should someone suggest a forum vote, all being done within the rules stated, a simple vote for either the Trout or the Grayling, with added comments at your own peril, I would support the Grayling.

Any subliminal message herein is neither expressed nor implied by me. I leave that to your imagination.

Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Apr 8, 2008April 8th, 2008, 8:23 am EDT
Falsifly, I'm confused. Can we follow the rules of the "Texas Two-Step" and vote in both the primary and the caucus, or do we have to wait for the superdelegates to decide?
Falsifly
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Apr 8, 2008April 8th, 2008, 9:44 am EDT
Gonzo- The “Trout for Obama” caucus has obviously made its endorsement. The “Arctic Grayling” as yet have not made an endorsement, so it would appear that they have not formed a caucus. But, it is my opinion that it will not be Obama. So until the “Arctic Grayling” can get their tails together and come up with a candidate, you’re ‘Texas Two-Step’ question is a mute point. What we need is a nomination. I saw that Shawn had something good to say about Hillary maybe he would like to make a first. After the nomination process is complete, thus forming a caucus, we can discuss the primary, caucus, superdelegate and “Texas Two-Step” voting rules. I hope that clears things up.

PS. I would be willing to travel to the Chena to present the nomination.

Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 8, 2008April 8th, 2008, 10:23 am EDT
Well, Alaska did go for Obama over Hillary 74-25, so that might indicate where the allegiances of grayling lie. However, I don't recall seeing any of them at the caucus for either candidate. It was -35F at the time, so they might have just had a hard time getting out from under the ice. Or they might have been across town in the Republican building voting for Ron Paul... it's hard to say. I would ask the next one I catch, but it would probably just tell me what I want to hear so that I let it go.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Apr 9, 2008April 9th, 2008, 5:24 am EDT
I'm hoping PA will make me proud. He is narrowing the gap daily here.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Apr 9, 2008April 9th, 2008, 10:22 am EDT
Hillary is a nice person. There, I said it.

Wow, does it feel good to get that off my chest.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 9, 2008April 9th, 2008, 1:35 pm EDT
Funny!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Apr 9, 2008April 9th, 2008, 2:14 pm EDT
Yeah, that's just another of Shawn's little jokes, but I'm very glad that this thread has retained a light-hearted tone. (It was touch-and-go for a moment.) If only trout could vote...(you can finish that thought however you'd like).
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Apr 9, 2008April 9th, 2008, 3:32 pm EDT
I take offense at the implication that I was joking.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Apr 9, 2008April 9th, 2008, 3:34 pm EDT
The only reason for all my one-line posts was really just to catch up to Gonzo. Now that he's back, though, I guess I'll just go ahead and give up again. And to think that I got to within 300 posts of him...

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Apr 9, 2008April 9th, 2008, 3:54 pm EDT
Don't give up so quickly, Shawn! Here's a little tip: Just post a pile of psuedoauthoritative babble on the bug threads and wait for the entomologists and other scientists to take the bait. Before long you'll accumulate a mass of arcane posts that nobody (including the scientists) can decipher. I'm surprised that more people haven't figured this out. Maybe it's just insecurity caused by inappropriate "genus envy." :)

PS--Actually, I just started posting again to keep Louis from developing an insurmountable lead. Hell, he was posting so often that I was afraid that he was talking to himself. ;)
Falsifly
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Apr 9, 2008April 9th, 2008, 5:12 pm EDT
Gonzo- After having said that I'm thinking maybe you should run for President
Falsifly
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Apr 9, 2008April 9th, 2008, 5:26 pm EDT
Of what? No, wait, don't answer that!!!
Falsifly
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Apr 9, 2008April 9th, 2008, 5:35 pm EDT
Gonzo - You must be running for President you are working so late.
Falsifly
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Apr 9, 2008April 9th, 2008, 5:48 pm EDT
"Working?" No, just the opposite. Pathetic, isn't it?
Falsifly
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Apr 9, 2008April 9th, 2008, 5:52 pm EDT
I just finished up on the Olive hatch. It was running rather late tonight.
Falsifly

Quick Reply