Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wonder_Wax
Wonder_Wax on Sep 18, 2016September 18th, 2016, 7:58 pm EDT
Wonder Wax is back in production. Glen Overton has graciously allowed us to start up production. He has overseen the startup and production of his product line. No he is not dead. Thankfully he is alive and well and able to guide us through the setup and production. We are offering wonder wax for sale at https://blacktail-tackle.myshopify.com/products/overtons-wonder-wax Please go to our store to stock up on the best dubbing wax ever made. Coming soon we will be producing Glen's other products. Such as his fly line cleaner and conditioner, plus the best fly floatant ever developed.

Buy it at: https://blacktail-tackle.myshopify.com/products/overtons-wonder-wax
Troutguide
Troutguide's profile picture
Redding

Troutguide on Oct 27, 2016October 27th, 2016, 10:12 pm EDT
I've just ordered some of the "new" overton's wonder wax. My ex had mine in her basement and after a very messy divorce she never let me have my years of colllecting fly tying materials. Well, just over a week ago her house burned to the ground along with all my stuff including my Wonder Wax!
The new stuff is very expensive at $19.95 a tube and shipping is $8!!!!
As soOn as it gets here I'll let you all know if it's the same.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 28, 2016October 28th, 2016, 1:00 pm EDT
The new stuff is very expensive at $19.95 a tube and shipping is $8!!!!

No fly tying wax is worth $27.95, or $18.95 assuming you can find it someplace locally.

I've been using a screw up tube of Gerke's wax for 20 years and still have enough for my lifetime. Probably cost no more than $6.00. Actually I don't use that much wax tying flies. If I want a very buggy body I make a dubbing loop and insert the dubbing into the loop. Less buggy nymph or dry fly bodies I just roll the material between my thumb and index finger and make a dubbing noodle. About the only time I use wax is when I tie up a bunch of La Fontaine Emergent Pupa.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Oct 29, 2016October 29th, 2016, 6:41 am EDT
Well, $18.95 may seem steep, but if you believe a good dubbing wax is an important part of your tying supplies, there was no better wax IMO than the original Overton's and even at the new, jacked up price, it is still a bargain. If you get 1000 flies out of a tube, that's still less than 2 cents worth of wax each at $18.95.

I mean, its all subjective and dependent on what we tie and what habits/techniques we have come to favor. Personally, if someone were to ask me my view, I'd say save the money you put into high end bobbins, whip finishers and especially hair stackers and invest it in Overton's Wonder Wax....:)

But that's just me..
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 30, 2016October 30th, 2016, 8:50 am EDT
But that's just me..

Yep
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Troutguide
Troutguide's profile picture
Redding

Troutguide on Oct 31, 2016October 31st, 2016, 6:59 pm EDT
I received my new Overton's Wonder Wax and yep, it the same as it ever was. Perfect for touch dubbing and noodle dubbing. Expensive? Yes, but a single tube, it's very large, will last the average fly tyer for ever.
Barry

Quick Reply