Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 23, 2008January 23rd, 2008, 3:42 am EST
Hi all,

As some of you know I'm retired and primarily fish the WB of the Delaware and main stem. Since shuttle fees are so expensive I'm always looking for someone to fish with up there when I want to use my drift boat. If anyone is interested in floating with me in 2008, and will have his own car so we can shuttle my car and trailer down to the take-out site, please PM so we can exchange email addresses and phone numbers.

I typically only float Tuesday - Thursday and only if the conditions are favorable. In other words I won't float if the river is 2000 cfs or more, it is dirty, or if it is raining or lightning is forecast.

No studded or spiked waders or boots, no lefty's since I'm a lefty and it just doesn't work if we are both trying to cast out of the boat, and no smokers.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Flybyknight
Milton, DE

Flybyknight on Jan 23, 2008January 23rd, 2008, 10:36 am EST
No Smokers.

That leaves me out.
This year I'm trying something different. I just bought a 2hp outboard
for my square stern canoe, and plan to power up river AM for the drift.
I agree, 25 bucks a haul adds up. A friend of mine at Oxbow is in the same situation as you. Perhaps I could connect you 2 guys for mutual benefit. Bmail me and I will get in touch with him.

Dick
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling;
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 23, 2008January 23rd, 2008, 11:10 am EST
Dick, I have a buddy who uses the power up and drift method. It works for him. Best of luck.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Flybyknight
Milton, DE

Flybyknight on Jan 23, 2008January 23rd, 2008, 11:48 am EST
Thanks Louis,
May be you might like to join me for a drift some time?

Dick
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling;
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 23, 2008January 23rd, 2008, 8:09 pm EST
Dick,

I'd smoked all of my life until November 01, 2007 the last day that I fished the WB. On my way home I just decided to stop smoking and haven't smoked since. It was a good time for me to quit since I never smoked in the house and I don't care for the winter and wouldn't go out in the cold just to smoke.

If I'd try to quit during the fishing season I can't say I would have been successful. I'd still be interested in meeting to wade fish the EB as it is always nice to have a friend to chat with during the day.

Two years ago I bought a 50 lb thrust electric motor for my Hyde. It is great to motor through those long pools on the Delaware or when there is a very strong upstream wind. I've also had good success doing what you intend to do. I put the boat in and can float downstream until I get to either strong current or shallow riffles then I can motor back upstream and do another downstream drift.
LenH
driftless area

LenH on Jan 24, 2008January 24th, 2008, 2:44 am EST
This -17 degrees is driving me nuts?

I soooo want to go fishing...
36 days and counting!

link here
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jan 25, 2008January 25th, 2008, 4:51 am EST
Wbranch,
I'd be interested in trying to work something out, although I might ask that you give me some instruction on bending the oars.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 25, 2008January 25th, 2008, 12:37 pm EST
JohnW,

You don't have to row but if you want to learn I'd be glad to show you the nuances of rowing and guiding a drift boat down river. PM me with you phone number if you want to give it a whirl. I seldom go up before the last week in April as the water is usually just too cold to see very many rising fish. I may not have mentioned it but I'm primarily a dry fly guy.
Troutturkey
Troutturkey on Jan 25, 2008January 25th, 2008, 1:28 pm EST
now at 51 I have an ODC 816 that is oared up the Holston the calories
are minutely burned in persuit of the bow & brown.I would like one
of the 4 star all american generals to explain why the browns are
so active and ready to search and destroy a fly in such cold weather
as my cousin landed a 18lb.brown
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jan 25, 2008January 25th, 2008, 2:34 pm EST
This -17 degrees is driving me nuts?

That's not so bad. :) Our high tomorrow is -30!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 25, 2008January 25th, 2008, 3:03 pm EST
Troutturkey,

I don't have no stars, but it might be that there are fewer fishermen and fake food items this time of year. :)

Congrats to your cousin!!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Jan 25, 2008January 25th, 2008, 4:06 pm EST
jason,
-30 might be the first thing you've said about alaska that doesn't make me jealous, cause i'm planning on fishing tom. afternoon.
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jan 27, 2008January 27th, 2008, 11:09 am EST
Westbranch,
Rowing is something I've been wanting to lear and with the trip I have plannned for this summer there is potential for me to have to do a little rowing out west.

As for technique dries, wets, nymphs, or streamers are all good, however I'd rather take them on top.
I'll drop you a PM.

JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn

Quick Reply