Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Smallstream
State College, PA

Smallstream on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 11:02 am EDT
Smallstream
State College, PA

Smallstream on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 11:02 am EDT
Does this site allow you to delete "mess up posts"?
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 11:07 am EDT
Yes, you can click on the scissor in the right corner of your post and edit or delete.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 11:09 am EDT
I don't see anything wrong with how your holding the fish. It's not like there's any reason to make her look bigger :) Nice fish Smallstream!
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 11:10 am EDT
Smallstream,

I wished I'd of put on a happier face, it looks like I'm angry at the world, and I'd just landed my largest ever dry fly fish.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 11:24 am EDT
Can someone explain to me, step by step, how I can post a picture rather than a link to a picture?
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 11:44 am EDT
Can someone explain to me, step by step, how I can post a picture rather than a link to a picture?

Wbranch-

The first requirement is that the photo be hosted on a server somewhere, either here or elsewhere. Then, when you create or modify your post, use the following syntax, except use braces rather that curly braces used in the example:

{img}http://...whatever.jpg{/img}

The left brace key is just to the right of P on the keyboard, and the right brace key is just to right of the left brace key. The curly braces are upper case of the braces, but don't use them, or it won't work.

Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 12:10 pm EDT
Wbranch,
it is exactly how you were trying to do it except the IMG at the beginning and end must be lowercase.
I wouldnt accuse you of bumping the size of that fish big is big.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 12:10 pm EDT
Wbranch,
it is exactly how you were trying to do it except the IMG at the beginning and end must be lowercase.
I wouldnt accuse you of bumping the size of that fish big is big.
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
IEatimago
Spring Mills, PA

IEatimago on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 12:20 pm EDT
awsome fish WB.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 3:39 pm EDT
To Roger and everyone else,

Thanks for guiding me through the process of posting pictures. That brown was caught on May 18, 2006 on a #18 CDc caddis and 5x. It was an unusually productive day on the main stem and my partner and I landed a good number of fish from 17" up to the big fish.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 30, 2007July 30th, 2007, 5:35 am EDT
Beautiful fish! And interesting that you caught it last year, when some folks were predicting doom and gloom on the Delaware due to the previous floods. Congratulations on the good work.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply