Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Glossosoma (Glossosomatidae) (Little Brown Short-horned Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
I caught this tiny larva without a case, but it seems to key pretty clearly to to Glossosomatidae. From there, the lack of sclerites on the mesonotum points to either Glossosoma or Anagapetus. Although it's difficult to see in a 2D image from the microscope, it's pretty clear in the live 3D view that the pronotum is only excised about 1/3 of its length to accommodate the forecoxa, not 2/3, which points to Glossosoma at Couplet 5 of the Key to Genera of Glossosomatidae Larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Oldredbarn has attached these 5 pictures. The message is below.
Ed McCoy and Mike on Manistee
21"er
24"er!
19"er
Hooked!
Powellammon
Powellammon's profile picture
Price, Utah

Powellammon on Jun 22, 2014June 22nd, 2014, 9:03 pm EDT
Spence, thanks for the post. Those are beautiful fish!!! Nice job!
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jun 24, 2014June 24th, 2014, 4:01 pm EDT
Wow! beautiful big browns.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jul 9, 2014July 9th, 2014, 1:16 am EDT
Wonderful. (But I think you already said that.) Nice images, nice fish, nice thread.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jul 9, 2014July 9th, 2014, 9:47 am EDT
Paul,

The nice thing for me, other than the company in the boat, was a chance to explore the Manistee on a stretch I hadn't seen before.

Ed,our guide, has a couple biology degrees and was once able to band raptors. He knows his birds. So, in between his info on how to help this vegetarian lose some weight, we birded.

I've been really lucky with the guides I've floated with over the years. It has helped, no doubt, that they are also friends, but an interesting personality running the boat makes the whole day more enjoyable.

I have had some great conversations in a float boat. Guys who love the river, the fish, and the environment where they work. Yea we catch fish and talk fishing, but the sky is the limit and I think the non fishing public would be surprised at the level and topics discussed.

Spencr
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Pryal74
Pryal74's profile picture
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Jul 11, 2014July 11th, 2014, 12:40 pm EDT
Wow! Those are some giants! GREAT WORK!
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jul 11, 2014July 11th, 2014, 8:36 pm EDT
Jim,

How the hell you been?! Haven't heard from you in awhile.

Had a guy, Phil Croff from Croff Craft near Petosky to our club to speak the other night. You should see his boat! He floats the Jordan and the Sturgeon in the middle of the night mousing. Incredible!

I only bring this up since he's further up north than my regular haunt in Grayling. Closer to the bridge and you in the UP. :)

Ever hear of Rivers Edge Fly Shop in Ontario? North shore tribs to Superior?

Good to hear from you.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Gus
Gus's profile picture
colorado

Gus on Jul 17, 2014July 17th, 2014, 2:52 pm EDT
Monsters!
"How do you help that son of a bitch?"

"By taking him fishing"

-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com

Quick Reply