Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Troutnut has attached these 8 pictures. The message is below.
The snow-capped peaks in the background are the Philip Smith Mountains in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
Here's a screenshot from my GPS software, showing right where the first caribou fell at the "FRSTCARIBU" waypoint.  (Garmin doesn't let you use enough letters to spell out a longer name.)
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Aug 12, 2008August 12th, 2008, 7:36 pm EDT
Spoiler alert: I'm planning to post a much more detailed story of the hunt within a few days. If you'd rather read that one without knowing what happens, then you should skip this abbreviated version of the story.

Saturday evening I left Fairbanks to drive 350 miles up a mostly gravel road to Alaska's North Slope and bowhunt caribou on the open tundra. I crossed barren Atigun Pass around midnight, and drove the last couple hours into prime caribou country in the morning.

My first stalk wasn't a success - I walked half a mile across the spongy mat of tussock-laden moss that is the North Slope tundra, started crawling on my belly toward half a dozen bedded caribou 80 yards away, then watched helplessly as they got up unprovoked and wandered off in another direction. There's no keeping up with caribou on the tundra. You intercept them where they're going, or you catch them milling around eating or laying down. If they're on the move and you're behind them, it's time to give up. So I did.

I began my second stalk a couple hours later. I had stopped to watch a small group of caribou through my binoculars to check if any were bulls, since cows aren't legal at this time of year. Only after sitting there for a few minutes did I see another lone caribou on the other side of the road, a few hundred yards away. A feeding bull. I got out and started a two-and-a-half hour stalk across open, featureless tundra, without so much as a bush for cover. I was never concealed and could move only when it looked away or put its head down. The stalk was full of complications and tests of patience, and it stretched on for three quarters of a mile. I ended it with an awful shot -- a result of misjudging the size of the animal and distance over that open ground -- but the shot was lucky and it left the caribou with just 3 usable legs. It was sufficiently hindered that I could get within close range again, eventually, and finish the job with a lung shot from 10 yards out.

The kill shot came around 6:20pm, a mile from the road. I had to go back for all my field-dressing stuff, and I finished skinning the caribou and taking the meat off around 3:00am, needing no flashlight in the high Arctic summer despite the time and the overcast sky. I had the first load back at the car at 5:00am, and had to get some sleep. It was a little more than 24 hours after the kill when I finally returned to the car with the last load, and the antlers.

Right now I'm working up the meat for freezing. When I have time, I'll post the story in more detail.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Aug 13, 2008August 13th, 2008, 4:57 am EDT
Spoiler alert: I'm planning to post a much more detailed story of the hunt within a few days. If you'd rather read that one without knowing what happens, then you should skip this abbreviated version of the story.

Anxiously awaiting.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Aug 18, 2008August 18th, 2008, 3:12 am EDT
A huge congratulations, Jason. I'll resist reading the shorter story in anticipation of the longer version.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply