Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Al514 has attached these 3 pictures. The message is below.
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Jun 5, 2008June 5th, 2008, 3:17 pm EDT
Got to my first Adirondack Brookie stream of the year the other day and was pleased to find good numbers of Brook Trout, even though nothing was of any size. It is still a really cool experience walking way into the middle of no where and then catching fish! Here are some pictures.
Chris_3g
Chris_3g on Jun 6, 2008June 6th, 2008, 7:44 am EDT
Thanks for the post. Great pics, and beautiful fish.

I know brookies aren't exactly the most particular of the lot, but which flies seemed to work out the best for you? I'm heading there for a backpacking trip in late June and possibly again in July / August.
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Jun 6, 2008June 6th, 2008, 8:04 am EDT
I used a size 18 caddis for all of the fish I caught that day. There were small yellow stoneflies hatching and some large mayflies as well, but like you said, the brookies aren't too paticular about what is being offered. I guess it just comes down to what you have confidence in. Size 10 WB's and other streamers of that size also work well, especially if you hit a section that has a lot of creek chubs.

Where are you planning on fishing when you come up?
BGrnFlyfish
Wisconsin

BGrnFlyfish on Jun 6, 2008June 6th, 2008, 10:28 am EDT
Those are some awesome little brook trout!
Seth-Big Green River, WI
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Jun 7, 2008June 7th, 2008, 3:14 am EDT
Pretty fish. I always get a kick out exploring for brookies.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 10, 2008June 10th, 2008, 8:02 am EDT
Beautiful fish!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jun 10, 2008June 10th, 2008, 9:39 am EDT
Very nice fish. Congratulations.