Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch has attached these 2 pictures. The message is below.
Saw this fish rising in a tailout as we drifted downstream, dropped anchor in pretty swift, but shallow, water.  Waded into position andon the second cast this 16" brown ate the fly.
Nice brown on #14 Rusty spinner.  I saw fish rising while I was in the rower's seat of my Hyde but was too lazy to cast and to be frank just didn't think it was a goood fish.  I pointed it out to my buddy and the fish ate on the second, or third cast, and it was a beauty.  So much for what I know about rise forms!
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 24, 2008March 24th, 2008, 1:49 pm EDT
I wanted to see if I can upload directly.

Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Mar 24, 2008March 24th, 2008, 2:20 pm EDT
See if this works

Heres goes?

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Mar 24, 2008March 24th, 2008, 2:21 pm EDT

How about that.

John

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,

Quick Reply

Troutnut.com is copyright © 2004-2024 (email Jason). privacy policy