Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jun 21, 2018June 21st, 2018, 10:16 am EDT
Tony,

Are you going to Henry's Fork this year?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on Jun 23, 2018June 23rd, 2018, 12:33 am EDT
TONY! Where have you been? Good to hear from you again.

Jonathon

Jonathon
I lurk quite a bit and only chime in when I have something useful to add

Tony,

Are you going to Henry's Fork this year?

Matt
I was there a week ago for green and grey drakes, PMDs and golden stones.
It was awesome.
Second year in a row that I was able to fish both eastern and western green drakes within a month.
Timing (and a good bit of luck) is everything

Tony
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 23, 2018June 23rd, 2018, 2:29 am EDT
Wow, nice hatches! I imagine you did quite well.

You probably would have killed them when I was on the Pond the other night, dealing with a midge hatch on the order of size 22. I can't see flies that small on the water, let alone tie them. I'm sure yours would have done well, though. Probably a nice spot for one of your bamboo rods too, all brookies all the time.

Tight lines!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on Jun 27, 2018June 27th, 2018, 3:16 am EDT

For the small fly patterns I really like TMC #2488 and pinch the barb. They have good hook gap and the bigger fish don't straighten the hook out on me like some other hooks do.

I used to use Tiemco, and I will agree with you that they are great hooks, and I also like the #2488 series. But for the longest time, and maybe you have seen this, but for their 100 & 101 series, which are good quality hooks as well, I was getting a mixture of sizes in a pack. And it was happenening more often to where I would buy a #16 pack and end up with #14 & #16, or #16 & #18 in the same pack. After about the fouth time of this happening is when I switched and I am very glad I did. Partridge and Fire Hole Sticks are the only hooks I buy now with no regrets whatsoever.

Quick Reply