Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

David82nd
David82nd's profile picture
Upstate,New York

David82nd on Jun 7, 2017June 7th, 2017, 11:28 pm EDT
Sounds great , I'm heading today to pick up some Hackle and my new Boots ,
David82nd
Upstate,New York

David82nd on Jun 8, 2017June 8th, 2017, 5:58 am EDT
Well I pulled thre trigger this morning , bought the Simms G-e guide boot , wow light and comfortable , not I'll put my screws in them. And I'm ready for the water
Planettrout
Planettrout's profile picture
Los Angeles, CA / Pullman, WA

Planettrout on Jun 13, 2017June 13th, 2017, 1:00 am EDT
I purchased two pairs of the Simms G3 Boots last year, a pair for me and a pair for my son who fishes the same waters back East that you do.Both of us have had Patagonia boots for years and both of us tried on the newer Patagonia Foot Tractor Boots. They were the heaviest, stiffest and most uncomfortable boots I have ever put on my feet...I use my Simms on Eastern Sierra waters and both of us will be taking them up to the Madison in September...

82nd Eh...I got my Green Beanie down the road at "Smoke Bomb Hill" in '68...

PT/TB
Daughter to Father: "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
David82nd
Upstate,New York

David82nd on Jun 13, 2017June 13th, 2017, 1:53 am EDT
Ahhh green beanie ". Nice , "Ft Bragg was my home ,
Great boots have used several times since I got them last week ,all I can say is wow, light,durable and comfortable,very happy/w them , smoke bomb was still there in the 80ies , God-Bless Iron Mike
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 13, 2017June 13th, 2017, 2:43 am EDT
"I got my Green Beanie down the road at "Smoke Bomb Hill" in '68..."

Just read about that hill in a book! SF, huh? I asked my recruiter about that when I was signing up at 17, and he said, "Can you jump out of an airplane with 110 lbs. of gear strapped to your body, including scuba gear, hit the water, get your scuba gear on, and be prepared to continue your mission?" Well no, not at 17 right out of high school! Sadly, I didn't stay in long enough to get anywhere near that far, but that's another story, PM me if you want the details...suffice to say, I got my Honorable Discharge!

Jonathon

P.S. Would love to hear any of your "green beanie" stories in a PM if you care to share them. 82nd stories too, David! My sister & brother-in-law stayed in 20 years each, he in armored cavalry, she was in intelligence. They met while both on assignment to Korea!
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply