Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Setvena wahkeena (Perlodidae) (Wahkeena Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
As far as I can tell, this species has only previously been reported from one site in Oregon along the Columbia gorge. However, the key characteristics are fairly unmistakable in all except for one minor detail:
— 4 small yellow spots on frons visible in photos
— Narrow occipital spinule row curves forward (but doesn’t quite meet on stem of ecdysial suture, as it's supposed to in this species)
— Short spinules on anterior margin of front legs
— Short rposterior row of blunt spinules on abdominal tergae, rather than elongated spinules dorsally
I caught several of these mature nymphs in the fishless, tiny headwaters of a creek high in the Wenatchee Mountains.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 31, 2013July 31st, 2013, 8:30 am EDT
Kyle, I do believe the above warning was aimed at me... ;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 11, 2013September 11th, 2013, 4:19 pm EDT
Angler is working with a difficult fish. After several refusals he determines that that certain blue-winged olive variation he tied two Winters ago would be just the ticket. After combing through a dozen fly boxes, he finally locates the beast and manages to tie it on with trembling fingers, just knowing it will prove to be the big trout's demise. He again looks at the stream for the precise location to plant his fly. While false casting, he mutters to himself, "Hey - where did he go?"...

Full of disappointment as he trudges out of the stream, he missteps and tweaks his back because of the massive weight shift of his vest. At least his chiropractor will be happy.:)

From Kurt, but the scenario seems vaguely familiar.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Sep 11, 2013September 11th, 2013, 4:31 pm EDT
Yes, well described.

It's where we begin to look like a leopard pacing in its cage, and wonder if it's OK. There's an unnerving primeval voice whispering "Your family is starving"; a voice we've learned to quash. Herons bring us some solace.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 17, 2013November 17th, 2013, 4:58 am EST
A pile of student papers has had me pretty busy for a while, but Troutnut provides a brief respite from time to time. Too busy to post much, but this was too good to pass up:

From Spence:

There was a decade when it seemed that as soon as I crossed over the Crawford County line where Grayling is located a very large low pressure center would camp out over head and my fishing week's weather would get down right snarly. Gray clouds, wind, rain, and ocassionaly very cold and it would snow.

One time, Paul, I sat on the bank of the river on a very cold bluebird sky day with a single cloud hovering over my head. This cloud was pouring snow down on me...I thought I should move to get out from under it, but then resigned myself to the idea that a greater power was probably sending me a message, and that moving would be futile.

That same week my guide friend and I were launching the boat for our annual day together. As we were about to shove off he turned to me and asked if I was sure about this. "Once we go, Spence, there is no turning back." We were on the river and by the end of the first hour we found ourselves taking shelter underneath some cedars as it hailed for 20 minutes.

The only fly on the water that day was a size 26 Baetis that was so small the creek chubs weren't even interested. This was during my bad back period and when we made it to the end of our all day float I was so hunched over I looked like Quasimodo. My friend was so concerned he started the truck and made me sit inside, trying to thaw out, while he stowed our gear and put the boat on the trailer...The bag of ice I had purchased for our beers was still intact. Not a single drop thawed.

Folks began to ask Rusty when I was coming up and booking either the week ahead of me or the week after.

--Fred Chappell
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Nov 17, 2013November 17th, 2013, 10:30 am EST
Louis,

No pain, no gain, baby! :) Just paying some dues, I guess.

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Gus
Gus's profile picture
colorado

Gus on Jan 23, 2014January 23rd, 2014, 3:56 pm EST
Great topic!
CaseyP I'm going to have to agree with you so far. the forum rules about no haiku gets my vote>
"How do you help that son of a bitch?"

"By taking him fishing"

-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Jun 2, 2014June 2nd, 2014, 7:10 am EDT
[if you don't tie, you gotta' buy]

I ran across this one buried deep in the 'tying tips' heading, which by the way makes for great reading and research. I can't tell you the originator or date, since I can't find the post again! Maybe 2009?

I was going to head north today, do some 'trout driving' on my day off- but gas spiked to $ 4.00 a gallon over the weekend, pretty much keeps me closer to home.

Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 10, 2014December 10th, 2014, 2:27 pm EST
I have a sister that lives in Hawaii and we are limited to emails to each other to keep in touch...She sent me the following: A little boy was sitting in the tub taking a bath and checking out his testicles. He asked his mother, "Are these my brains?" She said, "No dear! Not yet."

From whom else but Spence. Don't know how this one has not ended up here before.

--Fred Chappell
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Feb 26, 2015February 26th, 2015, 11:52 am EST
'Fly-fishing is the Zen of fishing...'

quote from a novice, female fly-fisher whose mom I worked with

Last I heard the novice was in Nepal, an English-teacher or something
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 26, 2015February 26th, 2015, 3:38 pm EST
If you ever see me in the pike suit my wife made for me you should follow your natural instincts and head off in another direction.

This one will be hard to beat.

--Fred Chappell
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 2, 2015March 2nd, 2015, 9:41 am EST
I once hooked an immature hen mallard on East Lake, a volcanic caldera lake in the Oregon Cascades. I was fishing from shore and she was huffing and clucking her way around picking goodies out of the elodea. I specifically gave her a wide berth when I cast, but she glided over anyway and sucked up my #14 parachute adams. Got her right though one of those vents in her beak. Luckily, she was only half grown (if that) and I was fishing 4X Umpqua which was pretty stout stuff for the alleged diameter and I was able to turn and run right up on the bank with her and run her down and pluck the fly back out with a set of those mini pliers. She was pretty hosed at me though and after I put her back in the lake, she swam back and forth in front of me and read me the riot act in Mallardese for about 5 minutes. She was making so much noise that for a while, I feared a personal injury lawyer would materialize out of the bushes (they're everywhere...), sign her up and poof, there would go the rest of our vacation.

OK, the quotation's pretty long, but once you get down to the word "Mallardese" it's pure genius to the end, and you need what comes before for context. Well done, Lee.

--Fred Chappell
PaulRoberts
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Mar 2, 2015March 2nd, 2015, 1:54 pm EST
Another time during the Green Drake on Penns Creek, I hooked a guy from Willow Grove (or maybe it was King of Prussia, I forget..). He was in full Orvis regalia, so he was probably about ready to spawn. Which would explain why he didn't put up much of a fight despite going at least 90-95 Kg. Just as well, probably. The hook was only caught by about 4 threads of his treated SPF 80 shirt and I probably would have lost him anyway if he had jumped or made a hot run downstream..

You beat me to it, Louis. I'm adding the rest of it.
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Mar 2, 2015March 2nd, 2015, 2:44 pm EST
Thanks, fellas..

I'm glad to be back on my ancestral turf in NW PA and I'm glad to be coming round here again after an extended hiatus. They're both a part of coming home.

Me and the junior cat, Sam, are going back down in the basement now and tie more 6/0 Deceivers and 10" Bunny Buggers. This is going to be the year of the legal musky on the long rod (I hope..). Then I'll have it out of my system and I can concentrate on trout again.

Lee
PaulRoberts
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Mar 2, 2015March 2nd, 2015, 2:58 pm EST
Welcome back, Lee. And good luck with your muskie adventures. Kyle (Kschaefer3) is a muskie chaser, and catcher I believe.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 2, 2015March 2nd, 2015, 7:56 pm EST
Me and the junior cat, Sam, are going back down in the basement now and tie . . .

Lee, Our cat Jimmy has a spot right next to my tying table. He's become quite a critic of split wings that are not exactly symmetrical.

Best of luck with the muskies.

--Fred Chappell
Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Mar 12, 2015March 12th, 2015, 9:34 am EDT
I don't tie blood knots for the same reason that I don't use back flips to travel from the bedroom to the kitchen when I go to get my morning coffee. I've never found it necessary and there are easier ways to get it done.

I was laughing really hard at this one. I never thought about it in these terms, but that pretty much sums it up.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 7, 2015May 7th, 2015, 11:01 am EDT
From Lee:

If there is a loose piece of barbed wire lying around, my waders usually find it.

--Fred Chappell
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 1, 2016February 1st, 2016, 10:47 am EST
A comment and response from Lloyd that caught my eye as I was looking at some older bug threads:

Litobrancha: “there are also some good litobrancha populations on [the] Davidson River in Transylvania county NC.”
. . .
GONZO: “Maybe, but I'd be careful about those bugs in Transylvania County. Wear some garlic or something, especially after dark. ;) “

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply