Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Aafloyd has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
Taken the same day as the Anthopotamus distinctus
Aafloyd
Aafloyd's profile picture
Mouth of Wilson, VA

Aafloyd on Oct 31, 2011October 31st, 2011, 7:03 pm EDT
I realize this is well worn topic on the forum, but I just got through posting a comment stating that I had Hexagenia limbata alongside Anthopotamus distinctus here in Southwest Virginia. After posting it I second guessed... and in reading the discussions on the forum about this there seems to be some hent that a broad geographical division line can be drawn between Hexagenia rigida and Hexagenia limbata with limbata being more common in the northern midwest and rigida being more common in east/southeast with a ton of overlap. So my question is: if this is true and would being in SW Virginia (near NC) increase the likely hood of one over the other?

I'll post a photo of the specimen shortly,
aaron
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Oct 31, 2011October 31st, 2011, 7:35 pm EDT
Aaron-

Will be interested to see your photo. However, unless it clearly shows the penes of a male imago, attempting to differentiate between Hexagenia limbata and H. rigida would be highly speculative, at least in my opinion.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Aafloyd
Aafloyd's profile picture
Mouth of Wilson, VA

Aafloyd on Oct 31, 2011October 31st, 2011, 7:38 pm EDT
Next year I'm photographing the penes! Perhaps it is better to attempt to resolve it after that - in the meantime I'll just refer to them as the Hexes of late June.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Nov 1, 2011November 1st, 2011, 5:49 am EDT
Next year I'm photographing the penes!

Aaron...Don't say that too loudly, your neighbors will be putting you on the list...:)

That is a wonderful photo, by-the-way...Somewhere on here I have some pictures of her cousin, step-child maybe more correct since she's been moved from the genus...Still hasn't been totally kicked out of the family yet, but who knows...Litobrancha recurvata.

Spence

You add anymore drakes to your posts and we all may be paying you a visit next summer!
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 2, 2011November 2nd, 2011, 8:05 am EDT
These mayfly photos are killing me...what I wouldn't do for a good hatch right now...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply