Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 2 pictures. The message is below.
The fly!
The fishies...
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Oct 30, 2013October 30th, 2013, 5:39 pm EDT
As I'm sure many of the rest of you are experiencing, our weather lately has been cold, rainy, or windy, or all three at once. Not good fishing weather, unless I suppose you're a steelheader...anyway, today things were much nicer than they've been in a while, so I took the kayak out to Reid Lake, my favorite little perch-n-rainbow spot in the Huron National Forest. This lake has proven to be a toughie, with fish seemingly spread out and requiring working over a lot of water, still typically with intermittent success or sometimes none at all. Well, this lovely afternoon success was with me, and I managed to connect with nine fish in all, 6 perch that I boated, a seventh that was another jumbo like the one I posted on here 2 1/2 weeks ago but threw the hook (DANG!!), and two little 9" rainbows that went back in to grow some more.

First time out in 2 1/2 weeks, man it felt good! And I'll be picking up the nicely filleted perchies tomorrow after I teach class. The fly that worked for all of the above? A #6 silver/grey KBF with nickeled dumbbell eyes. Turned out to still be a bit heavy even on the five weight, got stung in the back a couple of times with it before I got the right casting rhythm down...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Oct 31, 2013October 31st, 2013, 4:58 am EDT
Nice Jonathan. Thanks for sharing.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN