Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Fredw
Vancouver Island, BC

Fredw on Jun 24, 2013June 24th, 2013, 6:34 pm EDT
Hi , I am from Vancouver Island BC and just did a trip to the interior (100 mile house) and snapped a pic of a male spinner I would like to get Id'd.The picture is on my computer and is 5.16 mb.I tried to upload it in the get bugs identified forum but seem to be having problems. Is my file too big?
Thanks for the help
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 24, 2013June 24th, 2013, 8:15 pm EDT
Hi Fredw-

My guess is that the problem is not with the size of your image, but with the format of your image. As I recall, uploaded photos on this site are required to be in JPEG format. Are you able to save your image as as a .jpg or .jpeg file before attempting to upload it?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 25, 2013June 25th, 2013, 12:48 am EDT
It should work better if you can resize it to a smaller jpeg image.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Fredw
Vancouver Island, BC

Fredw on Jun 25, 2013June 25th, 2013, 7:47 am EDT
Thanks for the replies. I got the picture uploaded. Because it was 5 mb it took a while to upload and I wasn't waiting long enough.

Quick Reply