Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Captaincon
Captaincon's profile picture
Captaincon on Jan 5, 2015January 5th, 2015, 9:10 am EST
Am coming late to the parade, but noticed one thing missing from all these discussions...in order for UV to be effected, a UV lighting source is required. Things fluoresce under UVA, UVB or UVC, LW/MW/SW, respectively, dependent on the wavelength. UVC and UVB are basically absorbed by our atmosphere so unless you are underwater with a UVA lamp lighting your fly, the sun will be your only fluorescent illumination source. And since sunlight is dispersed through water up to 60% at only a couple of meters, UV illumination (fluorescence to us) will be nominal...and zero w/o sunlight.The thread that presented UV viability in young trout is probably most correct since it is the plankton that respond to the UV photon that allows young trout to better see their food source...quit eating plankton and UV ability disburses...and for the record, there is no UVR (reflective) that is referenced in the fly tying marketing material. UV light is either observable or not, the UV light is not "reflecting" off anything, the same way white light does not reflect off the page of the book you are reading.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jan 5, 2015January 5th, 2015, 12:05 pm EST
UV light is either observable or not, the UV light is not "reflecting" off anything, the same way white light does not reflect off the page of the book you are reading.

That doesn't sound right to me. Can you clarify what you mean?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Overmywader
Overmywader on Jan 9, 2015January 9th, 2015, 9:45 am EST
CaptainCon,

I am confused by your statements as well. Most of those things we see in the world are visible because of diffuse or specular reflection (computer screens are one exception, because they emit light in various wavelengths). When I look at a book, the page is white to me because the paper is absorbing little light and reflecting a nearly equal amount of red, green, and blue wavelengths (and UV and some IR). A red object is seen as red, because all the visible wavelengths below 620nm are absorbed, but the wavelengths between 620 and 700nm are reflected.

Solar ultraviolet light has been measured in viable amounts at a depth of 600 meters in sea water. SCUBA divers use fluorescent patches on their wetsuits and fins because UV will cause the patches to fluoresce at great depths.

We have been using UV reflective materials in our flies since the first fly was tied, centuries ago. All materials reflect some amount of UV. And mature trout can see the UV reflectance. See http://www.overmywaders.com/cblog/index.php?/archives/112-Ultraviolet-Vision-in-Trout.html for more info.

Thanks.
Regards,
Reed

Overmywaders
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jan 10, 2015January 10th, 2015, 4:46 am EST
UV light is either observable or not, the UV light is not "reflecting" off anything, the same way white light does not reflect off the page of the book you are reading.

Huh? I too do not understand this? I'm no physicist by any stretch of the the imagination, but I'm pretty sure that the only colors we see are those wavelengths of the visible spectrum that are reflected off an object. I think some guy named Newton figured that out.
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Jan 13, 2015January 13th, 2015, 5:19 am EST

My new killer pattern. :-)
Captaincon
Captaincon's profile picture
Captaincon on Jan 13, 2015January 13th, 2015, 6:54 am EST
All,
Apologize for the apples and oranges comment...was focused on fluorescence and not the visible perception of invisible (to us) UV...it was an incorrect tangent.

Quick Reply