Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 8, 2013January 8th, 2013, 2:43 pm EST
For me, the Tiemco 921 is fast becoming my favorite small fly hook. Do others have any pet hooks out there?
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 9, 2013January 9th, 2013, 6:50 am EST
I liked Sprite hooks, from Redditch. Apparently they were/are? across the lane from Partridge. I bought some at a show a while back and haven't found them since.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 9, 2013January 9th, 2013, 7:52 am EST
Paul, if you don't mind ordering:

http://greatfeathers.com/hooks/sprite/index.aspx

only in 14 and 16, though.

Or, from across the pond:

http://www.troutflies.co.uk/section.php/121/1/sprite-fly-tying-hooks

--Fred Chappell
TNEAL
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

TNEAL on Jan 14, 2013January 14th, 2013, 1:26 pm EST
When I started tying (1954) hook choices were minimal. There are a lot of quality hooks on today's market, so I opt for the best value, one with top quality and low cost. The answer for me is Togen hooks. Pretty wide variety, strong, sharp, and mini barbs... with a more than reasonable price
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jan 14, 2013January 14th, 2013, 3:00 pm EST
I like the ones that have fish attached to them
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 15, 2013January 15th, 2013, 4:16 am EST
Now, Eric, as my dad used to tell me, everyone likes a little *ss every now and then, but nobody likes a smart*ss. ;>

--Fred Chappell
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 15, 2013January 15th, 2013, 6:42 am EST
That's them! Thanks, Louis.
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Jan 19, 2013January 19th, 2013, 12:06 pm EST
Even though they are getting hard to find in many fly shops around the around, i do love my mustad hooks.
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com

Quick Reply