Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Jan 5, 2008January 5th, 2008, 1:42 am EST
To my friends, here, in the western NY area. I'll be doing a tying demo at the Oak Orchard Fly Shop on Jan. 19th. I'd like to meet some of you if you can make it.

Thanks,
Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Jan 5, 2008January 5th, 2008, 9:03 am EST
oh, this is going to hurt--we're off skiing that weekend. now had we but known, we would have headed more west than north and done a "twofer." next year, Mark?

"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 5, 2008January 5th, 2008, 11:25 am EST
Mark, I've been meaning to PM you but didn't know if you were around. Would you please remind me about your favorite choices for wet fly hooks in terms of those that hook and hold best? Yes, I'm tying up some of your wet patterns for next season!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Jan 6, 2008January 6th, 2008, 5:27 am EST
Hi Louis,
Glad to discuss hooks. I use a number of different kinds, but my mainstay is Mustad 3399A. I've never had any problems with them. They are rather long in the barb, but they can be sharpened and shortened or bent down for barbless fishing. They are regular wire, so they work well for fishing deep or nearer the surface. I've also use Mustad 3906. They are a bit heavier. For surface fishing of soft-hackles, standard dry fly hooks also work. I use Mustad 94840.

Specialty hooks for flies like Partridge and Olive Emerger (curved caddis style) like Mustad C49S are great. Also some of the flymphs look great tied on Mustad C53S. Mustad R48 (caddis short) are great for spiders and shorter bodied soft-hackles. Hope this helps.

Casey,
Too bad our plans do not coincide.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html

Quick Reply