Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

FisherOfMen has attached these 8 pictures to this report. The message is below.
Here's the pool from above
River flowing into the big 'pool'
Middle of the Pool
Tail End
From a rock above the waterfall downstream
Some slower water aside the main current below the waterfall
A stretch of river upstream the big pool
Saved me a 1/2 mile of bushwacking!

Report at a Glance

General RegionAdirondacks
Specific LocationAldrich Pond State Forest
Time of DayAfternoon

Details and Discussion

FisherOfMen
FisherOfMen's profile picture
NY

FisherOfMen on Mar 13, 2012March 13th, 2012, 5:03 pm EDT
As trout season does not start until April 1, this is not a true "fishing report", but I thought I'd share my trip anyway. I was scouting Little River to see how and where it could be effectively fished.

Most specifically, I wanted to reach this large "pool" I found on NYDECSLIM, the DEC satellite mapping tool. It's like Google Maps.

I took the trail/road to the blind waterfall, and then headed downstream on the canoe carry footpath. I made it to the canoe launch, and the GPS said the pool was just about 400 yards downstream. That canoe carry really cut my work out for me!

After 250 yards or so a came across a small feeder stream. A bit later I hit the pool. It was impressive. The river is 50ft wide or so average, and this bit is well over 100 ft across.

The pool starts quiet with a few big boulders creating some nice riffles right in the middle. Everywhere else is calm, but still moving water. I'm not good with reading water yet, but I think this place is a good bet for some nice trout.

The water is quite deep, however, and is probably best fished from a canoe or kayak. I might be able to get out some with my waders, but from the looks of it the depth might get into the double digits, also probably making it a better spot in warm weather.

All in all a very exciting day. I discovered quite a few interesting spots, and despite the stained water, I think I saw a nice brown behind a boulder, but I couldn't be sure. It makes me want to take my fly rod next time and find out!

Only two weeks left till April, and I've started drooling over this river. It is much bigger than I expected (the name doesn't add much), and has plenty of potential.
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Mar 20, 2012March 20th, 2012, 5:30 am EDT
What a beautiful picture! My gosh I love the Adirondacks...Seeing that takes years off my life.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
FisherOfMen
NY

FisherOfMen on Mar 25, 2012March 25th, 2012, 4:49 pm EDT
There - Got the rest of the pics up finally.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 27, 2012March 27th, 2012, 8:22 am EDT
That pool does look promising! Looking forward to another "fishing report" with some pics of you showing off that Brown...Good luck and happy exploring...You keep it up you may be the one that tempts Paul Roberts back east...;)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
FisherOfMen
NY

FisherOfMen on Mar 27, 2012March 27th, 2012, 11:05 am EDT
Thanks Spence. 4 days now and I'm starting to have trout hallucinations ;)

Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 28, 2012March 28th, 2012, 8:42 am EDT
Thanks Spence. 4 days now and I'm starting to have trout hallucinations ;)

I don't want to bum you out or anything, but when you return you are liable to find Gonzo standing there...He's been missing in action and I know he putz's around in upstate NY from time-to-time so you better just drop what you are doing now and head on up to your pool...:) We all will understand...The wife? I'm not so sure...:)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
FisherOfMen
NY

FisherOfMen on Apr 1, 2012April 1st, 2012, 5:29 am EDT
Trout season opens today! At church right now, but my brother-in-law is supposed to accompany me to the river in a few hours to try for some of those trout... Can't wait!

Quick Reply