Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Holocentropus (Polycentropodidae) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to tentatively key to Holocentropus, although I can't make out the anal spines in Couplet 7 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae nor the dark bands in Couplet 4 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae, making me wonder if I went wrong somewhere in keying it out. I don't see where that could have happened, though. It might also be that it's a very immature larva and doesn't possess all the identifying characteristics in the key yet. If Holocentropus is correct, then Holocentropus flavus and Holocentropus interruptus are the two likely possibilities based on range, but I was not able to find a description of their larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

FisherOfMen
FisherOfMen's profile picture
NY

FisherOfMen on Jan 26, 2012January 26th, 2012, 7:09 am EST
This might be quite the unusual topic, but curiosity got the best of me.

Before I came across any real fly tying supplies, (Thanks Wbranch!) I took the liberty of giving my dog a short brushing session...

...Yes, I stole fur from my dog to tie flies with. It worked alright, but I must say it's just too "soft" for a fly, and gets waterlogged easily. But nevertheless, I'm wondering how many fly tiers have done the same. So - How many of you all out there have taken advantage of your pet's incessant shedding, or even gone so far as to harvest some material right from the source?
"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." -Author Unknown

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke
GldstrmSam
GldstrmSam's profile picture
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Jan 26, 2012January 26th, 2012, 9:16 am EST
When it gets water logged does it look and act like marabou?
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jan 26, 2012January 26th, 2012, 11:44 am EST
Guilty as charged!!
I have acat that is just about the "purrrrrrrrrrrrrfect" color for adams and with a liberall dousing of watershed the flies float pretty nicely.
I have also been known to pick up road kill or go to the local sheep farm at shearing time to get some "indispesible" fur. That farmer had afew question before he would proceed though ;)
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Jan 26, 2012January 26th, 2012, 4:39 pm EST
our best cat has perfect fur for a Hare's Ear Nymph, or as we call it now, a Tang Tummy Nymph.

one of us gives him a "schmoopy" (big kissy-fussy hug) while the other clips off some tan tummy fur and some dark fur from the spots on the tummy. the color and texture are exactly right.

sinks like a stone (cats can't swim!) and gets deliciously waterlogged, not unlike egg yarn--just the ticket for a nymph.

once ran a swap on another forum for flies tied with one pet-sourced ingredient. there were a lot of well-groomed pets around that spring!
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jan 27, 2012January 27th, 2012, 6:18 am EST
Funny stuff, John & Casey!

Since I left the warm confines of my parents home way back in the 70's I've not had a pet of any kind. So no free fur. I do have a confession though that is somewhat related...

A couple years back I visited Beaver Island off the coast of Charlievoix for a music festival and to visit with my wife's sister and her husband. They have a place up there but have lived in Phoenix for the last 15 years or so.

It had been some years since my last visit and during that first visit I was introduced to a guy living up there year round totally off the grid who was raising animals for fur and trapped etc on the island. At that time he let me walk around his pens where he had a couple peacocks and I loaded up on discarded herl...:)

At this music festival he had actually set up a booth to sell some of his stuff and I re-introduced myself and he steered me to a couple good fishing spots on the island.

I have mentioned here before that I have been a vegetarian since I was 16. My brother-in-law has never seemed to "get" this and has, over the years, sent me gifts normally not desired by veg-o's...Fancy engraved leather sets. You know wallets, key holders etc.

During the festival he purchased for me a beer coolie from this furrier's booth made of beaver...That's right beaver!? I know that this may be counter-intuitive to most, but what can I say...An animal known for warm fur keeping a beer cold??? Not to mention, why would one normally think that this was a "good" gift for a vegetarian? :)

Well my confession: This "coolie" now has a few bald spots in it...:) Some of the guard hairs ended up as tailing fibers for a few small dry flies, and some clumps were used for some of Loren Williams' "Breakout Emergers" I tied...The under fur is a perfect color for the Adams...

You won't squeal on me will you??? ;) Not many, but us fly tying wack-o's, would think to shave their pets or take the snips to a gift...:)

Spence

I know guys who have collected old fur coats and wraps for the hair and I'm still waiting for this one sweater of mine to wear out so I can use the yarn from it...You would not believe the shades of olive in it! :)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 27, 2012January 27th, 2012, 6:37 am EST
There are few things I won't try to make use of -at least once. I'd say 3/4 of my tying materials did not come from a shop or catalog.
GldstrmSam
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Jan 27, 2012January 27th, 2012, 9:05 am EST
How many of you buy fly tying supplies at a craft/material store like Joann Fabrics? The other day I bought a life-time supply of red yarn there.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jan 27, 2012January 27th, 2012, 9:29 am EST
How many of you buy fly tying supplies at a craft/material store like Joann Fabrics? The other day I bought a life-time supply of red yarn there.

All the time! They are difinitely worth the trip...I have found some neat containers that work ready well for storing bead-heads and hooks. Tupperware containers for holding necks. Embroidery threads, thanks Softhackle! :) Craft lamps like small Ott lamps...etc.

With less and less real fly shops around Detroit these days, other than mail order, these places can be a lifesaver!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jan 27, 2012January 27th, 2012, 3:39 pm EST
NOPE! NEVER! I am just getting a few things for my wife because she is at home with a cold...............
JW
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 27, 2012January 27th, 2012, 5:48 pm EST
Loren Williams, Spence? What a great guy. I've never met him on person, but he's shared some very helpful information via PM's, and his tying tutorials are superb. I just tied some of his q-tip flies. I hope to fish with him someday when cash and time allow.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
GldstrmSam
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Jan 27, 2012January 27th, 2012, 10:21 pm EST
Spence, What do you use the embroidery thread for?

As far as my pets go, I have chickens which are useful for almost any color feather I need. I have goats, so I can get the gray under-hair that I can use for dubbing. Not a pet, but we help with a moose salvage program so I can get piles of moose mane/hair. There are also lots of hare up here so I have that covered. Plus I can shoot squirrels, grouse, ptarmigan... for more materials.
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jan 28, 2012January 28th, 2012, 4:18 am EST
Sam,
I can't speak for Spence but I use the embroidery floss to tie woven stonefly and March brown nymphes where you want a two toned effect. See the link below.

Louis,
Loren certainly is an incredible angler/tyer. I've fished with him on several occasions in the SC area. His frontliner and hoover nymphs are killers on Penns and BFC.
Speaking of Loren and woven nymphs:

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/tutorials/nymphs/lws-light-frontliner
Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on Jan 28, 2012January 28th, 2012, 4:55 am EST
This might be quite the unusual topic, but curiosity got the best of me.

Before I came across any real fly tying supplies, (Thanks Wbranch!) I took the liberty of giving my dog a short brushing session...

...Yes, I stole fur from my dog to tie flies with. It worked alright, but I must say it's just too "soft" for a fly, and gets waterlogged easily. But nevertheless, I'm wondering how many fly tiers have done the same. So - How many of you all out there have taken advantage of your pet's incessant shedding, or even gone so far as to harvest some material right from the source?

I have to admit, having two dogs and three cats, the temptation has struck me more than once...Haven't actually done it though (yet...)
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Jan 28, 2012January 28th, 2012, 5:42 am EST
Hey JohnW. How's it going? I've done great on Loren's Frontliner. It's a very versatile pattern. He's got some great patterns on his site.
Bruce
GldstrmSam
Fairbanks, Alaska

GldstrmSam on Jan 28, 2012January 28th, 2012, 9:29 am EST
Thanks a lot JW!! Those look so fun that I want to tie a pile of them. I think that I could take the base pattern and alter it to be a water boatman.
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jan 28, 2012January 28th, 2012, 9:45 am EST
Sam,
I use a technique called a paralell weave as opposed to Loren's shuttle weave. Either one can be a pain to learn but once you get the rythm of it down you can create some rally unique flies.

Quick Reply