Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Setvena wahkeena (Perlodidae) (Wahkeena Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
As far as I can tell, this species has only previously been reported from one site in Oregon along the Columbia gorge. However, the key characteristics are fairly unmistakable in all except for one minor detail:
— 4 small yellow spots on frons visible in photos
— Narrow occipital spinule row curves forward (but doesn’t quite meet on stem of ecdysial suture, as it's supposed to in this species)
— Short spinules on anterior margin of front legs
— Short rposterior row of blunt spinules on abdominal tergae, rather than elongated spinules dorsally
I caught several of these mature nymphs in the fishless, tiny headwaters of a creek high in the Wenatchee Mountains.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Sirhoops23
Bolivar, MO

Sirhoops23 on Feb 21, 2007February 21st, 2007, 1:13 pm EST
I have made it a goal to fish all 10 blue ribbon waters in MO by June. Well I fished my first this morning at Crane Creek, Crane MO. It was an unbelievable day. We have had cold weather lately but this week it rocketed and was 65+ degrees today. I got to Crane at about 7:40 and hit the water. It was a slow day but a great day. There was a terrible ice storm that downed a lot of trees which made fishing difficult (needless to say I lost my fair share of flies). All in all I saw 20+ fish and was able to land one nice 13" rainbow and two 8" fighters. Hit one whole that held 3 20"+ rainbows that at least went a LBS 1/2 to TWO. Finally was able to get my John Deere (a green jig pattern) down to them and bang, but as quick as I had him he was gone and that was all for the big fish this day. Also saw a beaver and a nice 6" chub. All in all a great start to the 07' season. Happy fishing.
JJ
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 22, 2007February 22nd, 2007, 8:43 am EST
Sounds like a nice day!

I've got a while to go before I can get started. We've had a warm spell recently but it was so cold for a while and we had so much snow that there's very little open water on any of our streams.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Aug 13, 2007August 13th, 2007, 4:36 pm EDT
Sirhoops23,

I have fished Crane Creek, many years ago when I lived in MO (ex was from Kansas City). It's a sweet little spot! The first time I went there I made it an all-day trip, and caught about half-dozen rainbows from 5 to 10 inches or so. I also hooked and lost a spectacular male rainbow (complete with kyped jaws) about 20" that came straight out of the water in front of me and snapped off a big black stonefly nymph. I'll never forget the brilliant pink stripe on his side. I'm wondering if this was in the same hole you mentioned - it was behind a big fallen tree about 3 ft. in diameter, and fish were stacked on top of one another, from 8-inchers at the top to some big lunkers at the bottom. I must have thrown about 15 fly patterns in that hole before I finally got that stonefly down in their faces. The current at that location made it almost impossible!

I also caught a 10-inch hornyhead chub there, which grabbed a gold-ribbed hare's ear refused by a neighboring trout. Crane Creek is also the only place in which I've seen a largemouth bass swim by followed almost immediately by a rainbow trout. (I've taken bluegill and rainbows side-by-side in Georgia, but never the afforementioned combination!)

It's been over a decade since I've been there. Good to hear that it's still a great spot!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply