Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Thom
cornwall on hudson, ny

Thom on Dec 21, 2006December 21st, 2006, 6:17 am EST
about two years ago i was fishing in the lower hudson valley of new york, a small streem that flows into the hudson river. it was the 2nd week of feburary when i landed a strange looking trout/salmon. she was silver whith a bright pink stripe, no spots and full of eggs,about 14"-15". on the next cast i landed a male brook trout about the same size. what kind of fish was it? do some fish change how they look in the winter months?
any ideas please let me know.
thanks, thom
Fly_Tyier
Iowa

Fly_Tyier on Jan 7, 2007January 7th, 2007, 2:06 pm EST
I'm not totally for sure on what type of fish it is but I do know that there was a fish some people in Mexico got that had the genetics of a rainbow trout and of a steelhead trout. my best guess is that it could be a cross breed. But then again I am only guessing.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jan 7, 2007January 7th, 2007, 3:11 pm EST
Thom, I'm stumped. I've caught some lake-dwelling rainbows that had very small indistinct spots, but I've never seen a rainbow without spots (except for those yellow cartoon rainbows that states like PA use as stocking "indicators"). Then again, if the fish swam up from the Hudson, who knows? Maybe it passed under the outfall pipe of a carbon tetrachloride plant and had its spots removed! :) (Sorry, but I couldn't resist. Both of the fish you describe certainly qualify as pretty unusual specimens, especially for a lower Hudson trib in February.)

Quick Reply