Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Case view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
It's only barely visible in one of my pictures, but I confirmed under the microscope that this one has a prosternal horn and the antennae are mid-way between the eyes and front of the head capsule.

I'm calling this one Pycnopsyche, but it's a bit perplexing. It seems to key definitively to at least Couplet 8 of the Key to Genera of Limnephilidae Larvae. That narrows it down to three genera, and the case seems wrong for the other two. The case looks right for Pycnopsyche, and it fits one of the key characteristics: "Abdominal sternum II without chloride epithelium and abdominal segment IX with only single seta on each side of dorsal sclerite." However, the characteristic "metanotal sa1 sclerites not fused, although often contiguous" does not seem to fit well. Those sclerites sure look fused to me, although I can make out a thin groove in the touching halves in the anterior half under the microscope. Perhaps this is a regional variation.

The only species of Pycnopsyche documented in Washington state is Pycnopsyche guttifera, and the colors and markings around the head of this specimen seem to match very well a specimen of that species from Massachusetts on Bugguide. So I am placing it in that species for now.

Whatever species this is, I photographed another specimen of seemingly the same species from the same spot a couple months later.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Keystoner
Keystoner's profile picture
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Keystoner on Nov 25, 2011November 25th, 2011, 7:33 am EST
In my estimation Wolly Buggers are one of the strangest flies to fish. I never quite know what to expect when that thing hits the water. It seems that, for the most part, it's all or nothing. I have had Woolly Buggers incite all out madness in trout streams, and at other times, I have been painfully aware that the fish couldn't care less about it. Often this will occur from one day to the next with nearly identical flies, time of day, etc. There dosen't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

As far as imitative intent, I can't say. It's just "crittery". Sometimes, I'll get A LOT of bumps and pulls on them with no hook up. Probably because the trout are simply curious. This situation really drives me bananas, and I tie my tails quite a bit shorter than most in an attempt to cut down on the "tail grabs" which make your heart leap, but render no hook-up.

Retrieve is another wierd issue. Sometimes you've got to get it moving, fast, or they won't touch it. Other times I have to drag it across the bottom at barely a crawl in order to draw a strike. And there are avout a thousand other methods that may work, or not, depending.

It's just really wierd, and a really fun fly to play with. I hardly ever wrap up a seesion without putting one through at least a few times.

That's my nickel, if you trade it for coffee, you will not get a very good brew!!

"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
Aaron7_8
Aaron7_8's profile picture
Helena Montana

Aaron7_8 on Nov 25, 2011November 25th, 2011, 11:39 am EST
I think the English have it right calling them lures. I have never personally seen anything in a trout stream that resembles a wooly bugger. I have seen pictures of hellgramites but when you see your bugger in the water it isn't quite right. However, I think that it has good action, has the look of a big meal and can be tied in many colors, weights and sizes. I don't necessarily think they take it for anything in particular just some sort of food, kind of like a stimulator pattern or a hare's ear. I think it is just effective.
Sayfu
Sayfu on Nov 25, 2011November 25th, 2011, 11:50 am EST

Lots of streamers can be described in the same way. Big meal, action, invasion of a predators space whatever. A very effective fly.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Nov 28, 2011November 28th, 2011, 2:00 pm EST
Depends on how to present it, when and where, and fish's exp[ectations. i've never been able to use one as a midge mimic though.
Sayfu
Sayfu on Nov 28, 2011November 28th, 2011, 2:37 pm EST
Paul..It's a great midge pattern! Tie it on a small, short shank hook in black with grizzly hackle, and when the midges are out clip off the marabou tail, and you have a great cluster fly...lot like a Griffith Gnat actually. :)
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Nov 29, 2011November 29th, 2011, 9:19 am EST
I think the English have it right calling them lures.

Aaron,

Where have you been, man!? I haven't seen a post from you in a while. What's new?

Wooly buggers and what they're taken for

Food...;)

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Nov 29, 2011November 29th, 2011, 1:51 pm EST
Ha! I guess you're right, Sayfu.

Quick Reply