Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Glossosoma (Glossosomatidae) (Little Brown Short-horned Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
I caught this tiny larva without a case, but it seems to key pretty clearly to to Glossosomatidae. From there, the lack of sclerites on the mesonotum points to either Glossosoma or Anagapetus. Although it's difficult to see in a 2D image from the microscope, it's pretty clear in the live 3D view that the pronotum is only excised about 1/3 of its length to accommodate the forecoxa, not 2/3, which points to Glossosoma at Couplet 5 of the Key to Genera of Glossosomatidae Larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionOregon
Specific LocationEugene
Dates Fished11/11/11
Time of DayEarly AM
Fish CaughtRedside!!
Conditions & HatchesClear, cold, and windy.

Details and Discussion

Keystoner
Keystoner's profile picture
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Keystoner on Nov 11, 2011November 11th, 2011, 9:16 am EST
Caught this beauty on a Quasimodo Flashback 14. Only the fish of the morning, and well worth the aching hands. I packed it in shortly after this fish was released. While I believe that trout season never ends, I must admit that the sessions certainly do get shorter. I would estimate the temp this morning to be around 38F, which is fine, once that wind gets whipping though, I've had enough. Rainbows like this one make it a lot easier to quit early as well.

*I can't seem to get a picture to load in in this area. However, the above mentioned fish can be seen on the Photo Board, topic -McKenzie Redside.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 11, 2011November 11th, 2011, 10:21 am EST
Yes, it's getting cold here now as well, and I'm pushing the trout fishing as late as I can myself. We're supposed to hit 54 F tomorrow, so I'll try the kayak one more time on my perch-n-rainbow lake in the Huron National Forest. With some luck it won't be too windy...

Is it raining pretty steady there now? Say HI to Oegon for me!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Keystoner

Keystoner on Nov 12, 2011November 12th, 2011, 2:51 pm EST
Jonathon - It actually has not been raining that much. The weather out here, in general, has not been like I was expecting. At Least not yet. We get a few days of rain sometimes and it is overcast often, but nothing like the soaking I was told to expect. Of course, the locals keep telling me it's coming. The "oregon mist" you previously mentioned is a regular fixture in the early mornings.

The McKenzie sends it's regards.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 13, 2011November 13th, 2011, 9:52 am EST
The nice thing you will find about Oregon is that most of the vegetation stays green year-round out there, what with all of the conifer trees and even a lot of the broadleaved plants keeping their leaves too. Things have turned brown now here in Michigan, except that we have a pretty good amount of conifers in this part of the state, better than southern Michigan.

But wait until spring comes to your new home - you won't believe how incredibly GREEN it will get! As I heard someone once describe it, "60 shades of green"...and expect LOTS of wildflowers too, that was a most pleasant surprise when I lived there. You'll see, amongst many others, western trillium which will look just like the ones from back home!

Please post photos on here when you go fishing out there, especially of smaller streams, it will bring back many wonderful memories.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Keystoner

Keystoner on Nov 15, 2011November 15th, 2011, 8:09 pm EST
Yes! I have noticed this, and coming from PA it is, most unusual. I guess the rain stopped here in early July, and the rest of the summer highly resembled SoCal. Didn't see a drop until late September. During this time, things got a little brown, however, now that its raining somewhat steady, watch out!! There is moss everywhere, even in parking lots, and the ferns, forget about it! It's greener here in October than it was when I got here. The little trail that I walk/slide down to access the McKenzie is almost grown over, in November! It's unbelievable! Not to mention they've got slugs double the size of my pointer finger!!

I will certainly do my best to furnish you with pics. However, I'm a little leary to get any electronic anything near the water. I've ruined three cell phones in trout water to date, and with the wading being pretty tricky at times here (these rocks are slick!) I'm nervous to don the 35mm for fear of giving it a bath. But, as I said, I'll do my best.

Quick Reply